The Co-op Thread

all new Phil

Have I been inserting my Clubcard in the wrong place this whole time?
cwathen

Pete wrote: Sat 07 Jul, 2018 08.07
apparently the most important thing for co-op staff is that they are paid every four weeks, not monthly, meaning they have 13 pay days a year on odd dates. So what is the very first thing on the homepage?
Don't Tesco also do that?
james2001

all new Phil wrote: Sun 08 Jul, 2018 09.50 Have I been inserting my Clubcard in the wrong place this whole time?
Your signature seems ready made for that post :shock: :o
Alexia

cwathen wrote: Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10.26
apparently the most important thing for co-op staff is that they are paid every four weeks, not monthly, meaning they have 13 pay days a year on odd dates. So what is the very first thing on the homepage?
Fairly sure Sainsburgers do too.

GWR do.
sqwidge1978

Alexia wrote: Sun 08 Jul, 2018 17.44
cwathen wrote: Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10.26
Fairly sure Sainsburgers do too.

GWR do.
Four Seasons pay 4 weekly too
Critique

Used a Co-op self service till today and was mightily impressed. Was one of the card only machines so didn’t have a scale but was by far the quickest self serve checkout I’ve used. Unlike some places (Boots jumps out as an example) there’s no need to press any buttons prior to scanning, no clunky animations (like that awful software Sainsbury’s used to use) and it reacted pretty instantly to button presses etc. Only thing that was lacking is making it so you don’t have to choose a payment method and enable the contactless reader as soon as you hit the payment screen.

Terminals also didn’t look to be NCR which is a rarity.
thegeek

Co-op's takeover of Nisa and and the demise of the Heritage brand has had one small benefit in our local corner shop: they've got pints of milk rather than multiples of 500ml. I'm not a metric martyr - it just always felt like the latter were a sly attempt at shrinkflation.
WillPS

MarkAshley wrote: Mon 04 Mar, 2019 19.24 I've often thought of milk in litre bottles as a shrinkflation tactic, you're not alone there!!

Has anyone else noticed Co-op branded products appearing in Mace stores? My local petrol station has a Mace convenience store which since the death of P&H has been utterly dire in terms of range and price. But recently all manner of Co-op products have appeared on the shelves, from milk and ready meals to confectionary and grocery. Co-op prices too for the most part.
They're the same group as Costcutter. Costcutter for a long time had the Nisa 'Heritage' stuff, then about 5 or 6 years ago moved to P&H's jazzy but usually poor quality 'Independent' offering. After a supply crisis following their demise they made a deal with the Co-op, which meant Heritage stuff returned, albeit briefly, before Co-op's own label took over.

There are as a result quite a lot of Costcutter/Mace/Kwiksave stores with a bit of P&H and/or Nisa stuff as well as the current Co-op stuff.
scottishtv

I see Scotmid stores (Scottish Midland Co-op) have adjusted their branding to adopt the international Co-op logo, rather than the Co-op Group branding.

That said, the new logo isn't being used across all stores, and hasn't been changed on their website for some reason.

I suspect one reason they've not adopted the Group branding is that there is quite a lot of overlap with Co-op Group owned stores within the area Scotmid operates, so they maybe want to try and differentiate a bit. Scotmid's own geographic patch has itself expanded over the years to cover much of Scotland.

Scotmid Funerals has also adopted the same logo. A few pics of stores are in their annual report.
sqwidge1978

Lakes & Dale's Co-operative, which are owned by Scotmid (previously Penrith Co-operative Socity be takeover and rebrand by Scotmid) appear to have adopted the International Coop branding too.

JAS84

When will The Co-Operative Bank rebrand, I wonder? It's no longer owned by the Co-Op, and is still using the old generic branding.