Windows 9 is now Windows 10

Philip

Still a diehard Firefox user here after all these years. Even when I switched from Windows to Mac I couldn't get used to Safari.

It's a shame Edge is going because it had a nice UI, fitting into the Windows 10 style, and some useful features not available on other browsers.
Martin Phillp

It really does seem too little, too late for MS and their browsers. Chrome can be slow and clunky, but it's everything I want in a browser which is easy to go between all of the Google services I use and easy to swap between the desktop and mobile versions.

However, I use Firefox as a back-up and also have Firefox Focus on my phone and tablet.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

How's everyone's Windows 7 migrations going?
Nicht so gut:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/22/2107 ... cost-price

We still have a bunch of Win7 machines at work, largely due to corporate indecision about whether to buy individual licences or buy in to the licensing server model. (Previously it was cost-effective to buy blanket licences but apparently it's not any more).

I ran Windows Update a for a final time on a few machines, and found they were last done in 2017. Oops.
james2001

thegeek wrote:
Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08.31
I ran Windows Update a for a final time on a few machines, and found they were last done in 2017. Oops.
I'd argue it's probably a good time to give those machines clean installs, god knows what crap's got on there missing 3 years of security patches.
cwathen

How's everyone's Windows 7 migrations going?
Done and dusted 3 years ago for everyone I support, same with my own machines.

I do wonder though just how much of an issue Windows 7 holdouts might be - based on some metrics there are more people using Windows 7 in January 2020 than were using Windows XP in April 2014.

That the number is so high is surprising - there were reasons to hold onto XP - anything requiring IE6 or routine Administrator-level access to the operating system was difficult to run on anything else. It was also the last version of Windows which could credibly be used to run DOS software and there were more than a few DOS-based IT platforms still running businesses back then. Then of course there was the question of what to migrate XP to - the latest & greatest at the time was Windows 8 which never gained any market acceptance whilst moving to Windows 7 would be moving to something already not current.

Whilst with 7 there are very few dependencies not catered for in 10, Windows 10 is now mature, stable and proven so you would imagine the migration would have been further along than it is.

Perhaps it is the updates method forced on the retail SKUs (something they're very slowly improving on but still have a long way to go to get back to the level of control there was pre-10) or perhaps it is experience learned from XP's retirement, that despite the obvious risks in continuing to run it, for many people as long as you were careful you survived just fine continuing to run it.
Pete

So here's an example of why Win 7 hold-outs can happen.

My employer, as part of a project to remove the legacy NetWare login servers, only just finished upgrading everyone from the 32 bit Win 7 desktop with netware login, to the 64bit Win 7 desktop with normal active directory login servers last year. Since then, the majority of ITs bandwidth has been taken up with a full replacement of the entire network, wired and wireless, upgrading and consolidating the data centres, the mandatory "cyber essentials certification" for scottish public sector, and having resources pulled away to support a full replacement of several key business systems.

Upgrading the student facing machines (which are essentially quite dumb and locked down) was done over the summer two years ago in one big go, because nobody uses the machines over the summer and you can just blitz an entire floor of the library / whole floors of teaching rooms at once.

However staff machines are a vastly more complex affair with endless upgrades of business systems to newer versions, "unmanaged devices" vendors coming up with ill-advised changes to licensing rules (o hai adobe) and being able to support business as usual whilst also experiencing a hardware shortage because the HP 830s don't support Win7, so there was a complex dance of recycling the 820s around to keep things running.

The more machines you have, and the more complex the estate, the harder it is. And staffing levels to do it are often not taken into consideration. Current thinking is rather than taking away your machine to upgrade, you just get handed a new one and then the older laptops get updated and swapped out for the remaining desktop machines.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Please Respond