Yet another Morrisons thread

Alexia

To quote Chris Joel : "Has anyone got any vodka so I can turn this into booze?"
james2001

I walked past a McColls store last week that had posters proudly advertising they were selling Safeway brand products, as if anyone really cared.
Pete

MarkAshley wrote: Sat 23 Jun, 2018 14.03 Who was it that posted that quad branded store from about 2005. I think it was a Safeway, Waitrose, Somerfield, and maybe a Co-Op? Refresh my memory.
it was the edinburgh morningisde one that is now a waitorse

"He has to be larger than bacon"
nwtv2003

Been a while since I’ve posted here. Anyway I’m not sure if it’s something Morrisons are doing nationwide or whether it is on some of the older non-Safeway stores, the Morrisons in Warrington (where I used to work a while ago) is currently going through an extensive refurbishment. Basically they are reducing the Market Street format by the looks of things. The Deli, Butchers, Cake Shop and Bakery are all reduced in size and relocated. Incoming is a bigger non-food Home selection and a party shop. The two sheltered trolley bays are becoming a Garden Shop and Timosons. They’ve also lodged a planning application to rebuild the petrol station with a bigger shop, sounding like they’re putting in a Morrisons Daily there. Considering they used to massively promote the Street format, seems to be on the decline somewhat, or making it more manageable....
steve
all new Phil

Maybe they’re tailoring things to what works in each location. The Blackpool store recently had a refurb, including adding the party section, but other than a bit of a touch up they barely changed the Market Street stuff. They also added a Morrisons Daily to the petrol station - a smart move as the petrol station is often busy first thing from people popping in for petrol but not going into the store. Quite a decent range in there.
all new Phil

This one does have bread and stuff but it’s more things like food to go, doughnuts, Costa coffee and other impulse buys for those oh so busy types who can only do things on the go. Which is odd for a town which is full of the long term unemployed really.
bilky asko

nwtv2003 wrote: Wed 01 Aug, 2018 21.24 Been a while since I’ve posted here. Anyway I’m not sure if it’s something Morrisons are doing nationwide or whether it is on some of the older non-Safeway stores, the Morrisons in Warrington (where I used to work a while ago) is currently going through an extensive refurbishment. Basically they are reducing the Market Street format by the looks of things. The Deli, Butchers, Cake Shop and Bakery are all reduced in size and relocated. Incoming is a bigger non-food Home selection and a party shop. The two sheltered trolley bays are becoming a Garden Shop and Timosons. They’ve also lodged a planning application to rebuild the petrol station with a bigger shop, sounding like they’re putting in a Morrisons Daily there. Considering they used to massively promote the Street format, seems to be on the decline somewhat, or making it more manageable....
The Market Street part in my local Morrisons has remained untouched (it was last tittivated a couple of years ago). It's still Fishmonger, Salad Bar, Pizza Counter, Hot Counter, Pie Shop, Bakery, Cake Shop, Deli Counter, and Butchers.

The entire car park was repaved after gaining a Garden Shop, which replaced a trolley shelter and a few parking spaces (in an absolutely huge car park for the size of the store).

The new Home section has been around for a little while, and looks a lot better than it did. And it's gained a new floor covering too. No Party Shop has appeared though.
WillPS

nwtv2003 wrote: Wed 01 Aug, 2018 21.24 Been a while since I’ve posted here. Anyway I’m not sure if it’s something Morrisons are doing nationwide or whether it is on some of the older non-Safeway stores, the Morrisons in Warrington (where I used to work a while ago) is currently going through an extensive refurbishment. Basically they are reducing the Market Street format by the looks of things. The Deli, Butchers, Cake Shop and Bakery are all reduced in size and relocated. Incoming is a bigger non-food Home selection and a party shop. The two sheltered trolley bays are becoming a Garden Shop and Timosons. They’ve also lodged a planning application to rebuild the petrol station with a bigger shop, sounding like they’re putting in a Morrisons Daily there. Considering they used to massively promote the Street format, seems to be on the decline somewhat, or making it more manageable....
Other than the Daily in the petrol station, I think all that is fairly standard at the moment.

None of the stores around me have had Market Street reduced much but I guess the scale of the reduction depends on the size of the store. The only ex-Safeway around here was a Megastore so that isn't a problem.
all new Phil

I’ve had a read back over the first few pages of this thread. Hard to believe we were discussing the introduction of smoking areas into the cafes of former Safeway stores to bring them into line with existing Morrisons stores.
james2001

all new Phil wrote: Thu 02 Aug, 2018 20.20 I’ve had a read back over the first few pages of this thread. Hard to believe we were discussing the introduction of smoking areas into the cafes of former Safeway stores to bring them into line with existing Morrisons stores.
Was one of several ways that Morrisons dragged the former Safeway stores back by at least a decade.

It would have been a strange enough policy even without the smoking ban on the horizon, but the fact it was less than two years away at that point and it was well known it was coming, so they'd have known they'd need to take them away again soon anyway, makes it even stranger.
nwtv2003

all new Phil wrote: Thu 02 Aug, 2018 20.20 I’ve had a read back over the first few pages of this thread. Hard to believe we were discussing the introduction of smoking areas into the cafes of former Safeway stores to bring them into line with existing Morrisons stores.
Hard to believe now, the Cafes phased out smoking in early 2006. Quite surprising how late Morrisons did this, and how popular it was at the time of withdrawal, but the nationwide ban was on the horizon anyway. Can’t say I’m surprised that Morrisons introduced smoking areas into Safeway stores. They got it so wrong on so many levels. I left Morrisons five years ago and many things were still being done on pen and paper, which Morrisons brought into Safeway. Only now from when I speak to former colleagues they’ve ditched pen and paper for nearly everything.
steve