High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

It amazes me Nottingham still has a separate 2 floor home furnishings store with its own cafe and everything. Surely a sitting duck!
Martin Phillp

Bayswater I can understand not being too far from the M&S at Marble Arch.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago

What an extraordinarily disasterous retail saga. Good riddance Bunnings. Awful brand, horrible product; all stores are due to be rebranded back to Homebase.
james2001

That was an embarrassing mess and a half.
WillPS

gottago wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 08.44
What an extraordinarily disasterous retail saga. Good riddance Bunnings. Awful brand, horrible product; all stores are due to be rebranded back to Homebase.
It'll be interesting to see how much effort goes in to returning Bunnings stores to the Homebase brand. Hard to see mezzanine floors being reinstated but will they keep things like cafes?
james2001

Will probably be the bare minimum to cost as little as possible, probably just Homebase logos slapped over the Bunnings ones, but bunning style branding elsewhere.

It's as much of a mess as Morrisons taking over Safeway, slapping their name and business model onto everything without even seeing if it works, is appropriate or if people want it. A bit of research into whether people wanted the business model changing, or taking away a household name an replacing it with a brand unknown in this country was wanted.

Funnily enough I've heard about 3 Homebase adverts on the radio this morning, never heard any mention of Bunnings in any homebase advertising and they've still been pushing the Homebase brand.
Philip

I do hope there's a juicy tell-all book about this in a few years time.
WillPS

james2001 wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 11.18 Will probably be the bare minimum to cost as little as possible, probably just Homebase logos slapped over the Bunnings ones, but bunning style branding elsewhere.

It's as much of a mess as Morrisons taking over Safeway, slapping their name and business model onto everything without even seeing if it works, is appropriate or if people want it. A bit of research into whether people wanted the business model changing, or taking away a household name an replacing it with a brand unknown in this country was wanted.

Funnily enough I've heard about 3 Homebase adverts on the radio this morning, never heard any mention of Bunnings in any homebase advertising and they've still been pushing the Homebase brand.
Has there been any advertising over the whole period showing the Bunnings brand? The only one I've seen was a bus in Sheffield advertising their store in Rotherham.
Martin Phillp

Sad that my local Bunnings in Penge will return to a Homebase. The reaction from locals has been largely positive.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

james2001 wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 11.18 Will probably be the bare minimum to cost as little as possible, probably just Homebase logos slapped over the Bunnings ones, but bunning style branding elsewhere.

Bunnings have managed to single-handedly crash the second biggest DIY chain in the country in less than a year.

Morrisons managed to take over a business bigger than itself, convert the majority of stores that were in a knackered old state, and use its vertical integration model to its advantage in working with Amazon and as a wholesaler in general, whilst taking at least some ideas from Safeway (unlike Bunnings).

Morrisons had it tough with Safeway, but made it through. Bunnings has had a disaster with Homebase.