Yet another Morrisons thread

all new Phil

There are 2 My Local shops nearby that are still sat empty, and still fully branded. Both are in quite decent locations too so it’s odd for them not to have become something else.
bilky asko

My nearest MyLocal became a JD Sports, and the other one near me became a One Stop. The former was an ex-HMV, and the latter was a new build I believe.
simonipswich1

The old Morrison's Local/My Local at the junction of Berners Street and St Mathews Street in Ipswich has work being done on it at last with a sign saying a "new local grocery store opening soon". No idea yet what company, will keep you updated.
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Mon 14 May, 2018 04.25
thegeek wrote: Sat 11 Jul, 2015 15.31 our local M local has a week of trading to go. It's a bit of a sad sight at the moment: the top and bottom shelves have been emptied, the fridges are half-empty, and they're basically only restocking fresh items.

The one cashier left seemed to think that the Co-op were taking over a job lot of the convenience stores, though I can't see any news of that online.
Nearly three years on, and the unit is still sitting empty. It's a shame that the Co-op didn't take it on, as they've been opening a few other branches locally, so the distribution network isn't a problem. Maybe it's just too close to a supermarket-sized Tesco for anyone else to consider taking on.

I do wonder who's paying the rent - I've found a PDF of the property details on the Savills website, but it doesn't seem to be being actively marketed. It wouldn't still be Morrisons on the lease, would it?
Potentially yes! https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... cal-stores
it is understood that Morrisons will be lumbered with a liability of as much as £100m from any sale because there is a parent company guarantee on the rental agreement for the stores.
Essentially the moment My Local stopped paying rents (which must have been pretty early on given they only lasted a few months) Morrisons became liable again. Whether they are still paying depends on the time they took possession and the length of the original lease.

The rents were understood to be horrific in most cases.
all new Phil

MarkAshley wrote: Tue 15 May, 2018 15.40 I'm easily amused, alright?
You can say that again.
thegeek

Nick Harvey wrote: Thu 29 Mar, 2018 23.36
MarkAshley wrote:Anybody else come across a Morrisons Daily?
One here in Devizes, just up the road from a main Morrisons store.

Interestingly, it's an Esso station, so you use your Tesco Clubcard for the petrol.

I've not bought anything else, so don't know if you use your More card for the grocery stuff.
I probably could have framed it better so the poster wasn't hidden behind a shrub, but there's a sign outside this branch saying you can use your More card in-store:

(Incidentally, this is the third fascia for this petrol station in two years - it was a Spar briefly, and before that, it was this abomination )
james2001

Last week I went into a Morrisons on the outskirts of Birmingham where the shop itself was raised and the ground floor was a car park. While I've seen a few branches of Tesco like this (and the new Ikea in Sheffield is like it too), it's the first store I've seen of another supermarket chain built this way.
all new Phil

The Sainsbury’s near me has 2 floors of car park on its roof :o
dosxuk

james2001 wrote: Sat 02 Jun, 2018 00.09 Last week I went into a Morrisons on the outskirts of Birmingham where the shop itself was raised and the ground floor was a car park. While I've seen a few branches of Tesco like this (and the new Ikea in Sheffield is like it too), it's the first store I've seen of another supermarket chain built this way.
Sheffield Abbeydale Sainsbury's is the same, just over the railway from a Tesco built at ground level.
Pete

all new Phil wrote: Sat 02 Jun, 2018 00.15 The Sainsbury’s near me has 2 floors of car park on its roof :o
Both Waitroses (originally Safeways) in Edinburgh have rooftop car parks. The larger one is a multi story at the back over the loading bay, the another level on the roof.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Waitrose in Uttoxeter is built on top of its car park.