The Co-op Thread

all new Phil

Can’t wait to see the Co-op on Coronation Street. I wonder if it’ll be a pristine, bang-up-to-date shop with completely spot on branding, or something a little more realistic with a permanent member of staff having a fag out the front, branding from 5 different previous looks, a Rottweiler tied to a post outside and a cash machine that looks like someone’s had a go at it with a crowbar?
simonipswich1

all new Phil wrote: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 13.10 Can’t wait to see the Co-op on Coronation Street. I wonder if it’ll be a pristine, bang-up-to-date shop with completely spot on branding, or something a little more realistic with a permanent member of staff having a fag out the front, branding from 5 different previous looks, a Rottweiler tied to a post outside and a cash machine that looks like someone’s had a go at it with a crowbar?
I can't see Dev being too happy about it, people carrying Co-Op bags around and doing their shopping in the Co-Op! Same with Roy... takeaway Costa Coffee?! What next, WH Smiths bags popping up putting Norris out of business at The Kabin?
WillPS

simonipswich1 wrote: Fri 02 Feb, 2018 00.03
all new Phil wrote: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 13.10 Can’t wait to see the Co-op on Coronation Street. I wonder if it’ll be a pristine, bang-up-to-date shop with completely spot on branding, or something a little more realistic with a permanent member of staff having a fag out the front, branding from 5 different previous looks, a Rottweiler tied to a post outside and a cash machine that looks like someone’s had a go at it with a crowbar?
I can't see Dev being too happy about it, people carrying Co-Op bags around and doing their shopping in the Co-Op! Same with Roy... takeaway Costa Coffee?! What next, WH Smiths bags popping up putting Norris out of business at The Kabin?
The obvious move would be for The Kabin to become a WHSmith Local.
WillPS

MarkAshley wrote: Sat 12 May, 2018 14.35 Image
This franchised store in Ashtead has remained a "Welcome" all these years.
That's a fascinating find. I didn't realise there were franchised stores - a quick search on the oracle for these things (Mike Hedgethorne on Flickr) it appears there are a few, all serviced by Southern Co-operative and mostly former Alldays branches. It appears there is a more recent version of the 'Welcome' fascia based on the 2007 branding, which looks appalling. I wonder if they were franchise agreements formed under Alldays.

The national group is now allowing MRH to open stores using the actual Co-op brand. I wonder if all those 'Welcome' stores will become Co-ops (if not co-operative Co-ops) in time.

EDIT: It appears the (hideous) Welcome fascia is still available to all colourblind shopkeepers: http://www.thesouthernco-operative.co.u ... franchise/
Pete

How odd that the co-op do franchising. I remember alldays from when they bought Walter Wilsons in the north east and ruined it :(

And by ruined I of course mean "stopped selling the exact cheese I liked at the time" which I my barometer for ruining shops.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

MarkAshley wrote: Sun 13 May, 2018 23.14
WillPS wrote: Sun 13 May, 2018 20.29 The national group is now allowing MRH to open stores using the actual Co-op brand. I wonder if all those 'Welcome' stores will become Co-ops (if not co-operative Co-ops) in time.
So weird that you should use that link - that particular ESSO/Co-Op branch (for a reason I still cannot fathom) became a Budgens in April.

I know that's not in any way relevant, but I preferred the range that Co-Op offered over Budgens' fayre. TL;DR I use the A3 a lot.
This is why, a shame really as Budgens is rubbish as you say.
thegeek

The Phone Co-op's members have voted in favour of a transfer of engagements (ie merger) with the Midcounties, operator of Cooperative Energy. Neither society uses the cloverleaf logo.
WillPS

MarkAshley wrote: Sun 27 May, 2018 12.20 I would imagine this Welcome in Hampshire ("A franchise of The Southern Co-operative" as it says on its sign) had the blue and white colourscheme before "The Co-operative food" branding came along, but the name stuck.

WillPS wrote: Sun 13 May, 2018 20.29 It appears there is a more recent version of the 'Welcome' fascia based on the 2007 branding, which looks appalling.
Alexia

The Co-op self service tills I used today at a branch near Trecco Bay, Porthcawl, were slow. I mean glacial. And badly designed.
DJDave

Alexia wrote: Sun 27 May, 2018 20.15 The Co-op self service tills I used today at a branch near Trecco Bay, Porthcawl, were slow. I mean glacial. And badly designed.
I used one in Crosby the other day, it was like the old Morrison's ones with a money travelator.
Pete

I made the foolish error of going through the B&Q self scan with gardening stuff today.

Please leave it in the trolley... she whispers... then there's a 15 second wait for the scanner gun to start working again, at which point she screams PLEASE SCAN AN ITEM if I don't react within the first 10ms of the scanner turning back on again.

Truly woeful system. Now card only (not contactless tho because it's still 2010 in B&Q) as the cash thing was so shit it kept jamming up.
"He has to be larger than bacon"