The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

WillPS

fiveguys on twitter wrote: Hi, unfortunately that is the current situation. @ccfreestyle reached this decision in order to comply with the law, due to the difficulty of tracking the amount of drinks served that would need to be taxed differently.
We'll see what happens in the fullness of time, but I would expect fewer and fewer restaurants will do self-serve Coca Cola as time goes on.
Critique wrote: Mon 09 Apr, 2018 22.19 Went to the Liverpool Street station McDonald's today, which has been somewhat ruined by the new format. I think they've extended the kitchen a bit, and then removed all the seating in order to be able to fit the self-service tills in, so you have no choice but to have your food to take away. It's also the only branch I've seen where the receipt numbers go above 100 - my order was in the 500 range but the orders before me were in the 300s so unlike other branches they're not just counting up either.
I wonder if this is related to the change in some table service restaurants - where instead of selecting a 'zone' there's a stack of numbered table markers by each self-service point, and you key in the number before you pay.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Wed 11 Apr, 2018 16.01 I wonder if this is related to the change in some table service restaurants - where instead of selecting a 'zone' there's a stack of numbered table markers by each self-service point, and you key in the number before you pay.
what's this now?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Alexia

Diet Coke Exotic Mango is excellent.

And not at all addictive.

(Fifth bottle this week)
WillPS

Pete wrote: Wed 11 Apr, 2018 20.31
WillPS wrote: Wed 11 Apr, 2018 16.01 I wonder if this is related to the change in some table service restaurants - where instead of selecting a 'zone' there's a stack of numbered table markers by each self-service point, and you key in the number before you pay.
what's this now?
I should have taken a picture - there is a stack of plastic table marker on either side of each screen. Each marker had a number in the 3xx range. When you select 'Eat In', rather than being asked to set a 'Zone' you're instructed to take table marker and type in the number. I believe this number then becomes your order number, but I didn't Eat In so I don't know for sure. The takeaway orders were still in the 0xx range and sequential from what I could gather though.

When your food is delivered, the staff member lakes your table marker and puts it back next to one of the screens.

I saw this in Grantham last weekend, I don't know if it's standard or some sort of trial.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Thu 12 Apr, 2018 14.12
Pete wrote: Wed 11 Apr, 2018 20.31
what's this now?
I should have taken a picture - there is a stack of plastic table marker on either side of each screen. Each marker had a number in the 3xx range. When you select 'Eat In', rather than being asked to set a 'Zone' you're instructed to take table marker and type in the number. I believe this number then becomes your order number, but I didn't Eat In so I don't know for sure. The takeaway orders were still in the 0xx range and sequential from what I could gather though.

When your food is delivered, the staff member lakes your table marker and puts it back next to one of the screens.

I saw this in Grantham last weekend, I don't know if it's standard or some sort of trial.
I've not seen it in either of the two McDonald's I've been in within the past couple of weeks, though I have noticed the font and style of the receipts are a bit different.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Thu 12 Apr, 2018 14.12 I should have taken a picture - there is a stack of plastic table marker on either side of each screen. Each marker had a number in the 3xx range. When you select 'Eat In', rather than being asked to set a 'Zone' you're instructed to take table marker and type in the number. I believe this number then becomes your order number, but I didn't Eat In so I don't know for sure. The takeaway orders were still in the 0xx range and sequential from what I could gather though.

So how do they know where you're sitting?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Thu 12 Apr, 2018 16.39
WillPS wrote: Thu 12 Apr, 2018 14.12 I should have taken a picture - there is a stack of plastic table marker on either side of each screen. Each marker had a number in the 3xx range. When you select 'Eat In', rather than being asked to set a 'Zone' you're instructed to take table marker and type in the number. I believe this number then becomes your order number, but I didn't Eat In so I don't know for sure. The takeaway orders were still in the 0xx range and sequential from what I could gather though.

So how do they know where you're sitting?
They look, I guess. Or maybe the markers have some sort of geotracking in them. Dunno.

It was a purpose built branch where the entire dining room could be seen at a glance.
dosxuk

Sugar watch update: full fat coke is no longer part of the Sainsbury's meal deal (kind of like everything else they sell that I like and used to be in the deal).
Philip

Has anyone else noticed that the logo on McDonald's napkins is still using the design from the old 90s packaging with the wacky shapes? These ones:

Thanks to Google Image Search here's one someone drew on for emphasis:

cwathen

Philip wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the logo on McDonald's napkins is still using the design from the old 90s packaging with the wacky shapes? These ones:
Similarly, the wrapper on their straws was still from the mid 80's ('COPYRIGHT 1986 MCDONALDS CORPORATION' and all) until about 2010.

Probably partly these sundry items not being a priority for redesigns and so continuing to be produced to the same design long after they became outdated, and partly there also being huge stock piles of them both centrally and in restaurants so even after they are redesigned it will also take years to clear all the old stock.
Philip

I had forgotten about the straws! Of course, now that they've changed to the new McD On Ald's and 'You're Gonna Need Two Hands, Grandma' style packaging, I assume we'll have to wait years before they change the straws to the current style, at which point new packaging will be introduced and they will be out of date again.