The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

Pete

Mon 09 Apr, 2018 07.14

james2001 wrote:
Mon 09 Apr, 2018 01.30
I was in a Spar yesterday, and their own brand "glucose energy" is still full sugar... for now. It's the nearest you're going to get to proper lucozade.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Euro Shopper own brand one was as well, but I couldn't find any the last time I was in a shop which sold their stuff.
Yes I also heard this however they only do original and my favourite was always orange. I did notice a large display of euroshopper lucozade near the entrance last time I was in Booker, perhaps they're pushing it as a salvation.

I suppose with the own brands, given they always cost pennies, adding a few more pennies means they are still far cheaper than the branded ones but with all the sugar.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
james2001

Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10.32

Actually Spar do have Orange- in fact that was the only one they had in stock in the store I went to!

I wonder how many people who miss proper Lucozade are actually aware of these brands? I only found out myself the last few days. A shame the nearest branch of Spar is on the other end of town.
james2001

Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10.59

Looks like the Euro Shopper version has Orange and Cherry variants too:

I have no idea what they taste like though. I remember Asda's own brand, when they used to have one about 10 years ago, tasted a bit off, but it still wasn't as bad as the new Lucozade.
Critique

Mon 09 Apr, 2018 22.19

Went to the Liverpool Street station McDonald's today, which has been somewhat ruined by the new format. I think they've extended the kitchen a bit, and then removed all the seating in order to be able to fit the self-service tills in, so you have no choice but to have your food to take away. It's also the only branch I've seen where the receipt numbers go above 100 - my order was in the 500 range but the orders before me were in the 300s so unlike other branches they're not just counting up either.
dosxuk

Tue 10 Apr, 2018 09.41

The seating is no great loss though, there's never been enough for the amount of people who want to use it, and even when there was seats the tables were always piled high with rubbish because nobody seems bothered about using the bins. Think the only time I've ever got a seat in there was at 8am on New Years Day on my way to work.

I do wish there were some large bins outside so when you inevitably end up standing on the concourse, you've got somewhere to chuck your wrappings.
james2001

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 13.07

So the coke freestyle machines at Five Guys no longer sell flavoured regular coke thanks to the sugar tax, and are going to remove it altogether soon (looks like it's Coke's decision rather than Five Guys'). What a joke, especially as the freestyle machines were one of Five Guys' biggest selling points, and I can get unflavoured coke anywhere. Well done for yet more removal of my choice *slow clap*
dosxuk

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 14.25

Also in sugar watch, Brewers Fayre have removed all the sugared options from their self dispense (the pepsi ones with the flavour options) machines too.
WillPS

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 16.01

fiveguys on twitter wrote: Hi, unfortunately that is the current situation. @ccfreestyle reached this decision in order to comply with the law, due to the difficulty of tracking the amount of drinks served that would need to be taxed differently.
We'll see what happens in the fullness of time, but I would expect fewer and fewer restaurants will do self-serve Coca Cola as time goes on.
Critique wrote:
Mon 09 Apr, 2018 22.19
Went to the Liverpool Street station McDonald's today, which has been somewhat ruined by the new format. I think they've extended the kitchen a bit, and then removed all the seating in order to be able to fit the self-service tills in, so you have no choice but to have your food to take away. It's also the only branch I've seen where the receipt numbers go above 100 - my order was in the 500 range but the orders before me were in the 300s so unlike other branches they're not just counting up either.
I wonder if this is related to the change in some table service restaurants - where instead of selecting a 'zone' there's a stack of numbered table markers by each self-service point, and you key in the number before you pay.
Pete

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 20.31

WillPS wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 16.01
I wonder if this is related to the change in some table service restaurants - where instead of selecting a 'zone' there's a stack of numbered table markers by each self-service point, and you key in the number before you pay.
what's this now?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Alexia

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 13.32

Diet Coke Exotic Mango is excellent.

And not at all addictive.

(Fifth bottle this week)
WillPS

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 14.12

Pete wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 20.31
WillPS wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 16.01
what's this now?
I should have taken a picture - there is a stack of plastic table marker on either side of each screen. Each marker had a number in the 3xx range. When you select 'Eat In', rather than being asked to set a 'Zone' you're instructed to take table marker and type in the number. I believe this number then becomes your order number, but I didn't Eat In so I don't know for sure. The takeaway orders were still in the 0xx range and sequential from what I could gather though.

When your food is delivered, the staff member lakes your table marker and puts it back next to one of the screens.

I saw this in Grantham last weekend, I don't know if it's standard or some sort of trial.