The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

james2001

On another subject, I've just been to KFC and they're still running on a limited menu all these weeks later, this DHL farce has been so embarrasing. The fact things still aren't close to back to normal 6 weeks later just shows how unsuitable and unprepared DHL were for the job. I think the new Bidvest contract kicked in at the start of the week (and I think my store is one of those they've been restored to) so hopefully things will be better soon.
Alexia

Had a quick gander in Pret today. Healthy options my arse. Some of their wraps and sandwiches are up above 650kcal per portion... that's half my daily minimum allocation. A sweet chili chicken wrap from McDs is only 340-odd
james2001

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote: Wed 28 Mar, 2018 11.43Take the supermarkets as an example - most have already increased their prices and removed offers on 500ml bottles of coca-cola. While that doesn't affect me massively as I would tend only to have that as a sugar hit following particularly heavy exertion, it has affected me by way of the supermarkets/manufacturers using it as a mask to hide the fact that they've increased the price across all options.
What's worse is I've just been into tesco and noticed in their fridges they've replaced the 500ml bottles and 330ml cans with 375ml bottles & 250ml cans of regular Coke & Pepsi- but they cost the same as the 500 & 330ml diet drinks. Considering the sugar tax is something like 24p per litre (I think), therefore the extra would only be 12p on a 500ml bottle and 8p on a 330ml can then, then the difference with the smaller bottles and cans is well in excess of what the sugar tax actually costs. Clearly some blatant profteering going on here. When a 375ml bottle of regular is 50p more expensive than a 330ml can of diet, and costs the same as a 500ml bottle diet despite being 75% of the size, it's clear they're using it as an excuse to rip us off. It wouldn't be as bad if the size/price difference was at least in proportion to the sugar tax.

I also noticed on the main soft drinks part of the shop, they had no bigger bottles of coca-cola, only 1L ones and 8 packs of 330ml cans (they did have 1.5L bottles of cherry though). Possible this is only a temporary thing during the changeover though.
bilky asko

My local Tesco has swapped from 600ml Pepsi Max to 500ml Pepsi Max recently.

I wonder what the price will be once it's Full Sugar Coca-Cola with the sugar tax and bottle deposit.
WillPS

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote: Wed 28 Mar, 2018 11.43 I too have an issue when it comes to state sanctioned diet - removal of options doesn't count as education, so while the initial effect may be an improvement in health, these adults who "can't be trusted" will still opt for sugar en-masse as soon as the opportunity arises.

Take the supermarkets as an example - most have already increased their prices and removed offers on 500ml bottles of coca-cola. While that doesn't affect me massively as I would tend only to have that as a sugar hit following particularly heavy exertion, it has affected me by way of the supermarkets/manufacturers using it as a mask to hide the fact that they've increased the price across all options.

Meanwhile, while walking around after seeing my 2 for £2 option had disappeared entirely across coca-cola AND coke zero (It's since been reintroduced to Coke Zero as 2 for £2.20), I went along the non-refrigerated drinks aisle and found 1.75L of coca-cola for 30p more than a 500ml bottle.
And that was without the three for... offer being applied.

So would the sugar tax result in me buying less sugary drinks? With pricing as it currently is, no - I'd just end up buying in bulk to hide the cost increase!
Supporting the current government is not my natural position - but it wasn't mandated that anything be removed from sale. That is a decision which has been taken by manufacturers and presumably retailers/wholesalers.

Opportunistic price rises are a different story altogether - but from a cynical bean-counter's perspective changes in taxation are always a good opportunity to disguise price rises. Always have and always will be.
Alexia

Given the sugar tax was a Plaid Cymru idea which stemmed from WHO advice and then stolen....er....adopted nationally by the Lib Dems and Labour and then implemented by the Tories, it's safe to say that this is an idea that has cross party support, so don't worry about supporting the government line per se.

The mindset change that this policy aims to do is to put sugar in the same bracket as booze and fags - a luxury / vice. Pop is so prevalent in our society that it may be hard to swallow (no pun intended) but this sort of short-term pain will have a lot of long term gain - we cannot afford to have a squeezed health service post-Brexit with less immigrant doctors and nurses treating a majority native lazy fat diabetic population. As ever, the balance between cost and willpower will even itself out - price increases in tobacco and the smoking ban have seen faggers numbers drop substantially. Technology will make non-sugary drinks taste better all the time, and eventually we will look back at 2018 and wonder why we ever needed as much of this crap as we have now.

As for c*nts like this bastard http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1590 ... _the_poor/ well he can go to hell. He's basically saying the poor have no self-control and that they lead an unhealthy lifestyle by default, which is hugely condescending and completely untrue.
james2001

bilky asko wrote: Wed 28 Mar, 2018 15.44I wonder what the price will be once it's Full Sugar Coca-Cola with the sugar tax and bottle deposit.
At least you get the deposit back (as long as you can be bothered to take the empty bottle back to the shop anyway).
Alexia

Bring back Soda Stream I say.
james2001

I bought a soda stream about 10 years back... then within a couple of years they deliberately changed the cartridges so you couldn't use them in the old machines and had to buy a new one. So I won't bother again.
Alexia

james2001 wrote: Wed 28 Mar, 2018 22.46 I bought a soda stream about 10 years back... then within a couple of years they deliberately changed the cartridges so you couldn't use them in the old machines and had to buy a new one. So I won't bother again.
I think you should just stop drinking carbonated drinks if this carries on.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

Alexia wrote: Wed 28 Mar, 2018 18.57 The mindset change that this policy aims to do is to put sugar in the same bracket as booze and fags - a luxury / vice.
Difference being that the two vices mentioned were targeted at least partially for their impact on those not partaking - passive smoking and antisocial behaviour.

My response to a lack of coca cola is mild annoyance, which I don't think falls into the same bracket!
Snarky