The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

Alexia

james2001 wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 04.40
It's the preaching, being told we're "wrong", "can't be trusted", "need saving from ourselves" and having our choices taken away from us I dislike.
Then we need to grow up as a species. Which we never will do.
all new Phil

Maybe cyclists / vegans / vegetarians ARE better than everyone else. They are things that require effort and willpower to maintain, and are selfless acts that are done for the good of the environment. I’ve given up meat for that very reason, but I don’t intend to bang on about it and don’t intend to ever mention it here again.
*ass
bilky asko

I'm surprised there isn't an Official "I'm better than you" Thread yet.
Philip

I just wanted to talk about the Grand Big Mac.
Whataday

I have a great anecdote about the vegan society setting up a table outside a Cardiff branch of McDonalds, just before it collapsed on and killed a pigeon.
WillPS

james2001 wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 03.21
You can do a hell of a lot better than talk down to people, tell them "they can't be trusted" and take their choices away from them.
Nobody is taking your choices away from you and it's not a matter of trust; Pepsi is still available at Pizza Hut, albeit at a higher price.

The levy wasn't intended to remove sugary drinks from the market, it was designed to make consumers stop and think about the choice. If you decide as a result of that to purchase the higher priced sugary version that's totally up to you.
Pete

WillPS wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08.55
Nobody is taking your choices away from you and it's not a matter of trust; Pepsi is still available at Pizza Hut, albeit at a higher price.

The levy wasn't intended to remove sugary drinks from the market, it was designed to make consumers stop and think about the choice. If you decide as a result of that to purchase the higher priced sugary version that's totally up to you.
but Lucozade have removed my choice, by removing the original recipe from the market and replacing it with an inferior tasting drink.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
sqwidge1978

Pete wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10.13
WillPS wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08.55

but Lucozade have removed my choice, by removing the original recipe from the market and replacing it with an inferior tasting drink.
Same goes for Ribena they have changed it to a formulation that now gives you the runs.
bilky asko

Why, have they put laxatives in it?
scottishtv

Some sweeteners can have laxative effects. I know sugar-free Polos used to carry a warning on the back, telling people to avoid "excessive consumption".

Straying further off-topic, the reduced-sugar Rowntrees Randoms and Fruit Pastilles in the shops now, contain a thing called Promitor soluble fibre in place of some of the sugar, to bulk them up. The website for it boasts of "superior digestive tolerance so you don’t have to worry about consumer acceptance."
bilky asko

scottishtv wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 13.47
Some sweeteners can have laxative effects. I know sugar-free Polos used to carry a warning on the back, telling people to avoid "excessive consumption".

Straying further off-topic, the reduced-sugar Rowntrees Randoms and Fruit Pastilles in the shops now, contain a thing called Promitor soluble fibre in place of some of the sugar, to bulk them up. The website for it boasts of "superior digestive tolerance so you don’t have to worry about consumer acceptance."
I believe those sweeteners - xylitol, mannitol, sorbitol, lactitol, maltitol, etc. - are not present in Ribena. They are generally present in mints and chewing gum.