The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

Alexia

james2001 wrote: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 23.54my ice skating session
We get it, you skate. Great.
If reports are to be believed, Lucozade's sales already have dropped off a cliff as a result of the reformulation anyway.
Offset no doubt by the £22m generated by sales of Lucozade Zero. (2017 figures, pre introduction of Original flavour)
It's easy to paint sugar as the new bogeyman, but artificial sweeteners aren't a magic solution.
Your solution seems to be either charging more to the consumer for the original formulation (which I believe you were objecting to in the first place) or continuing to allow generation after generation of children to become needlessly unhealthy. I said it before and I'll say it again - HUMANS CANNOT BE TRUSTED TO BE ADULTS.... sometimes we need to be saved from ourselves.
james2001

This whole anti- sugar debate feels as condescending and belittling as vegans who think they're better than people who eat meat and cyclists who think they're better than motorists and have to preach about the evils of meat and cars all the time (and would probably ban them if they could).

You can do a hell of a lot better than talk down to people, tell them "they can't be trusted" and take their choices away from them.

And that sarcy comment about my skating.... yeah, thanks. When we're effectively being told we're fat slobs sitting on our arses and we can't be trusted, can't you blame me for wanting to point out otherwise? It's not exactly the sort of attitude that's going to win people round.
Alexia

james2001 wrote: Sun 25 Mar, 2018 03.21 This whole anti- sugar debate feels as condescending and belittling as vegans who think they're better than people who eat meat and cyclists who think they're better than motorists and have to preach about the evils of meat and cars all the time (and would probably ban them if they could).
Both of those arguments have enormous environmental merit. Animal farming is increasingly unsustainable and the amount of land required is obscene, especially given the advances made in biofuels. Red and processed meats are also a cause of cancer. Cyclists are wankers but their machine of choice doesn't put out CO2, doesn't require dead animals to power it and takes up less space on a roadway, and also makes the person using it fitter. Which I thought you'd be in favour of.
james2001

I never said there was anything wrong about cycling and being fitter, my argument was about the ones that are preachy and look down on people because they think they're better than everyone else because of it (plenty of cyclists aren't like that). But you knew that already.

Same with vegans/vegetarians who are fine to do what they like, as long as they don't act as if they're superior or try and force their choices on other people.

It's the preaching, being told we're "wrong", "can't be trusted", "need saving from ourselves" and having our choices taken away from us I dislike.
Alexia

james2001 wrote: Sun 25 Mar, 2018 04.40 It's the preaching, being told we're "wrong", "can't be trusted", "need saving from ourselves" and having our choices taken away from us I dislike.
Then we need to grow up as a species. Which we never will do.
all new Phil

Maybe cyclists / vegans / vegetarians ARE better than everyone else. They are things that require effort and willpower to maintain, and are selfless acts that are done for the good of the environment. I’ve given up meat for that very reason, but I don’t intend to bang on about it and don’t intend to ever mention it here again.
bilky asko

I'm surprised there isn't an Official "I'm better than you" Thread yet.
Philip

I just wanted to talk about the Grand Big Mac.
Whataday

I have a great anecdote about the vegan society setting up a table outside a Cardiff branch of McDonalds, just before it collapsed on and killed a pigeon.
WillPS

james2001 wrote: Sun 25 Mar, 2018 03.21 You can do a hell of a lot better than talk down to people, tell them "they can't be trusted" and take their choices away from them.
Nobody is taking your choices away from you and it's not a matter of trust; Pepsi is still available at Pizza Hut, albeit at a higher price.

The levy wasn't intended to remove sugary drinks from the market, it was designed to make consumers stop and think about the choice. If you decide as a result of that to purchase the higher priced sugary version that's totally up to you.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08.55 Nobody is taking your choices away from you and it's not a matter of trust; Pepsi is still available at Pizza Hut, albeit at a higher price.

The levy wasn't intended to remove sugary drinks from the market, it was designed to make consumers stop and think about the choice. If you decide as a result of that to purchase the higher priced sugary version that's totally up to you.
but Lucozade have removed my choice, by removing the original recipe from the market and replacing it with an inferior tasting drink.
"He has to be larger than bacon"