The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Alexia

I'm sure Kwik Save would be up for grabs for the right price.
Finn

WillPS wrote: Wed 14 Feb, 2018 09.57 Tesco are going to launch a 'discounter' Aldi/Lidl-like format: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... i-and-lidl

There's talk that they're going to dig up an old brand for the chain; my money's on Wm Low...
Bet they'll fluff it.
Much like they fluffed the 'fake farms' etc cheaper brands.
all new Phil

Why can’t they just improve their own offering rather than try and imitate somebody else’s?

I don’t really understand who Tesco’s market is these days. Out of the big players, Asda have the cheap end sewn up, Sainsbury’s the quality-conscious, and Morrison’s the older/inbetweens. I don’t know where Tesco fits, apart from the one near me attracting people who are a bit rough and have questionable standards of personal hygiene. Their fixtures and fittings are by far the lowest quality, and there’s usually chavvy dance music blasting out of a portable stereo near the entrance.
james2001

WillPS wrote: Wed 14 Feb, 2018 09.57 Tesco are going to launch a 'discounter' Aldi/Lidl-like format: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... i-and-lidl

There's talk that they're going to dig up an old brand for the chain; my money's on Wm Low...
Delamare maybe? I actually found an old Delamare label recently, I was going to scan it and post it here, but I forgot.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Wed 14 Feb, 2018 18.39 Why can’t they just improve their own offering rather than try and imitate somebody else’s?

I don’t really understand who Tesco’s market is these days. Out of the big players, Asda have the cheap end sewn up, Sainsbury’s the quality-conscious, and Morrison’s the older/inbetweens. I don’t know where Tesco fits, apart from the one near me attracting people who are a bit rough and have questionable standards of personal hygiene. Their fixtures and fittings are by far the lowest quality, and there’s usually chavvy dance music blasting out of a portable stereo near the entrance.
I love Tesco. Their prices are keen across the board, the range is great (even in non-Extras), their own brand stuff is consistently decent quality and Clubcard is by far the best loyalty scheme.

Stores with the post-2013 fit out look great I think. Like all chains theres good and bad, but crikey it can't be worse than the Asda warehouse-style stuff.
woah

I think a lot depends on your local superstore - if it's located in a rubbish area/not a very nice store that's bound to change your perception of the chain as a whole. I hear a lot of people complaining about Co-op on here - but our local store's had an extensive refurb in the latest branding and it's excellent with a great range of nice products and helpful staff - before it was like shopping in a garden shed with staff nowhere to be seen. It's all chance really.

I have to say the most consistently rubbish supermarket I find is ASDA. Even new-build/refurbished stores are clinical and drab, they're in dire need of a complete rebrand (other than deciding to remove the meaningless Wal-Mart sun from the logo)
all new Phil

I suppose you’re right that it depends on the area, however I travel about for work quite a bit and visit a few different stores and Tesco are definitely the most inconsistent. Sainsbury’s tend to be pretty consistent wherever you are on the other hand.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Thu 15 Feb, 2018 00.07 I suppose you’re right that it depends on the area, however I travel about for work quite a bit and visit a few different stores and Tesco are definitely the most inconsistent. Sainsbury’s tend to be pretty consistent wherever you are on the other hand.
Trust me, there are some ropey Sainsbury's about! None left in the pre-1999 format but quite a few which haven't had a proper refit since 2000ish, and have only had light work to cover the Greenwich Blue.
woah

The Sainsbury's fuel stations at Meadowhall are still very much in the "making life taste better" phase - I suspect it was refitted in 1999 based on the fact that the totem pole still has four star listed. There's also a couple of ex-Jacksons store round here that are pretty awful.
Pete

I find it odd that the addition of Argoses into Sainsburys seems to come at the expense of food ranges rather than non-food.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
g67bbx

Pete wrote: Thu 15 Feb, 2018 19.10 I find it odd that the addition of Argoses into Sainsburys seems to come at the expense of food ranges rather than non-food.
Not on the Isle of Wight. Tech/Computing, book/cd ranges and the refund point were removed to make way for Argos. As such the dept now consists of a few drops of power banks, cables and computer accessories. All refunds done at the small customer service desk at the front.

The Sainsbury's supermarket in Alton, Hampshire has had it's customer service desk turned into a coffee bar (which is 5 metres away from the cafe!) and a dedicated main-bank till is now used for refunds and exchanges.