Another High Street Rebrand

Andrew

That Hammerson branding is almost as far away from intu' as it can possibly be, from jokey orange to corporate black?

Hasn't the Broadmarsh development now started?

Do people in Derby even call the fancy new build bit the Eagle Centre, and not just the market?
sqwidge1978

WillPS wrote: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 11.37 Hammerson only really want the out of town supercentres. I expect they'll be stripped of Intu branding and the reduced Intu portfolio sold off either as a whole or centre-by-centre.

Doesn't bode well for the poor old Broadmarsh centre in Nottingham though, now on its 6th or 7th redevelopment proposal in the last 2 decades, no ground broken on any of them.

https://twitter.com/intuBroadmarsh/stat ... 5777406977
Nice to see Argo Broadmarsh still using the original 1970s branding :)

WillPS

It is arguably the biggest brand in the centre now, along with Boots, now that BHS has gone.

The main anchor space was a Co-op department store until the mid-90s, then Allders, then TK Maxx (who only used 1 or 2 of the 3 floors) and for the last few years. It was cleared out in 2011 ahead of the final Westfield redevelopment proposal, which was weeks away from starting when CSC took over, protecting their Victoria Centre at the other end of town.

Both shopping centres are incredibly dated, but Broadmarsh is arguably the centre which could be made decent easier as it doesn't have a tower block sat on top of it.
sqwidge1978

WillPS wrote: Sat 09 Dec, 2017 17.33 It is arguably the biggest brand in the centre now, along with Boots, now that BHS has gone.

The main anchor space was a Co-op department store until the mid-90s, then Allders, then TK Maxx (who only used 1 or 2 of the 3 floors) and for the last few years. It was cleared out in 2011 ahead of the final Westfield redevelopment proposal, which was weeks away from starting when CSC took over, protecting their Victoria Centre at the other end of town.

Both shopping centres are incredibly dated, but Broadmarsh is arguably the centre which could be made decent easier as it doesn't have a tower block sat on top of it.
Hopefully as building work has now started it will get finished even the Christmas decs are out of the 80s
Andrew

Intu Victoria Centre has been refurbished hasn't it, I didn't notice it being notably dated last time I was there.
WillPS

sqwidge1978 wrote: Sat 09 Dec, 2017 20.16
WillPS wrote: Sat 09 Dec, 2017 17.33 It is arguably the biggest brand in the centre now, along with Boots, now that BHS has gone.

Hopefully as building work has now started it will get finished even the Christmas decs are out of the 80s
I don't think any building work has actually started. The car park and bus station are being demolished and rebuilt like-for-like but they're operated separately by the council directly. Intuhave simply boarded off the Upper Mall, presumably so they can concentrate retailers downstairs so that looks less dead (and cut down on cleaning?).
Andrew wrote: Sat 09 Dec, 2017 22.53 Intu Victoria Centre has been refurbished hasn't it, I didn't notice it being notably dated last time I was there.
It has, but the refurbishment did nothing to solve the underlying issues with the building - low ceilings, lack of natural light and no rear facing (leading to it more-or-less forming a solid city limit against Glasshouse Street).

In fact, the whole place is darker than before. Oh and we have a "Dining Quarter" which has utterly failed.

It's still a hideous brutalist shopping centre, basically. But Intu own it outright, so any investment there will look better for their bottom line than Broadmarsh, which is leased from the council.
cwathen

Now on a scale of fabness, that branch is simply off the charts!! East Grinstead's branch is clearly one of the under-performing, neglected stores with the first generation stock checker system, but still sporting its late 1990s sans serif logo; but clearly nowhere near matches the beauty of the 3-silver-bar-on-white you have posted. Good find.
Is that one in Nottingham now the only Argos with the original 70's branding? I know there are plenty of original stock checkers still in use with it on, but not actually on the fascia.

Apart from this one, the last time I saw the 70's logo was in Minehead which still had it until about 2009, and then finally got rebranded with the 1999 logo just in time for it to be made obsolete a year later.
WillPS

Certainly the only one I know of. It even has an Elizabeth Duke counter inside.
thegeek

Andrew wrote: Tue 22 Sep, 2015 20.51 Rebranding M&S Simply Food as M&S Food Hall is odd to say the least, are they going to change all branches, including ones that aren't really big enough to be called a 'Food Hall', like ones in train stations or service stations?.
Having just discovered the M&S brand guidelines are available on their website, I now have an answer to the delineation:
All UK stores internally, and on all enhances to the food hall are signposted M&S FOODHALL.
All UK stores internally, and on all enhances to the food hall are sign posted M&S FOODHALL.
All UK stand-alone stores over 4000 sq ft are sign posted M&S FOODHALL.
All UK stand-alone food stores under 4000 sq ft are sign posted M&S SIMPLY FOOD.
UK hospitality offer only stores are branded M&S FOOD TO GO.
(Typos their own)
all new Phil

You’d think “M&S FOOD” would cover this better. I’m guessing the reason for the distinction is that stores over 4000 sq ft sell a larger amount of non-food items (thus making “Simply Food” incorrect). My local shop is an M&S Foodhall (yes, where I live is *that* posh) and has a small-ish range of household items (plants and ornaments etc) that all the oldies love.

Having 3 different names just seems a little unnecessary.
tillyoshea

The other weird thing about this rebrand is that it only seems to extend to signage and nothing else. Years on, every former Simply Food near me which has rebranded to a Foodhall is still listed as a Simply Food in the online store finder / click and collect list, and basically everywhere except the signs outside.