The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

jonathan

nodnirG kraM wrote: Tue 08 Aug, 2017 18.36 So how super-wet-dreamedly excited would you lot be about this Tesco receipt of my mother's from 1996? Yeah, thought as much.

My internet is a bit slow at the moment and that image loaded as it would have on dial up which I thought was rather apt.
WillPS

So does anyone else have these awful new self checkouts? My nearest branch had old wide v4 checkouts until recently which I used to wish they would replace as they were torturously slow. These new ones, v6 I think, have a completely different interface, which is nowhere near as clear and easy to understand as the old one, equally slow if not worse than the old v4 ones and in many cases just does not work at all - it particularly despises my Tesco debit card when used contactlessly for some reason. I either get the dreaded 'Need Information' message, which it seems can only be resolved by having my transaction suspended and taken over to a nearby manned till or the thing just completely grinds to a halt after playing the 'all of your Clubcard points add up' message, then about a minute later pops up to ask if I'd like to pay using that card.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess.
woah

WillPS wrote: Fri 11 Aug, 2017 00.17 So does anyone else have these awful new self checkouts? My nearest branch had old wide v4 checkouts until recently which I used to wish they would replace as they were torturously slow. These new ones, v6 I think, have a completely different interface, which is nowhere near as clear and easy to understand as the old one, equally slow if not worse than the old v4 ones and in many cases just does not work at all - it particularly despises my Tesco debit card when used contactlessly for some reason. I either get the dreaded 'Need Information' message, which it seems can only be resolved by having my transaction suspended and taken over to a nearby manned till or the thing just completely grinds to a halt after playing the 'all of your Clubcard points add up' message, then about a minute later pops up to ask if I'd like to pay using that card.

Are the V6 ones the same ones they use at Morrisons with the fully flat touch screen? If so, one of the Tescos I visit had the upgrade to these just before the new £1 coin came in and they are infinitely better, I can't say I've ever had an issue - but the user interface is exactly the same as before.
WillPS

woah wrote: Fri 11 Aug, 2017 08.32
WillPS wrote: Fri 11 Aug, 2017 00.17 So does anyone else have these awful new self checkouts? My nearest branch had old wide v4 checkouts until recently which I used to wish they would replace as they were torturously slow. These new ones, v6 I think, have a completely different interface, which is nowhere near as clear and easy to understand as the old one, equally slow if not worse than the old v4 ones and in many cases just does not work at all - it particularly despises my Tesco debit card when used contactlessly for some reason. I either get the dreaded 'Need Information' message, which it seems can only be resolved by having my transaction suspended and taken over to a nearby manned till or the thing just completely grinds to a halt after playing the 'all of your Clubcard points add up' message, then about a minute later pops up to ask if I'd like to pay using that card.

Are the V6 ones the same ones they use at Morrisons with the fully flat touch screen? If so, one of the Tescos I visit had the upgrade to these just before the new £1 coin came in and they are infinitely better, I can't say I've ever had an issue - but the user interface is exactly the same as before.
Yeah, the ones I've seen with the old interface run without issues. I wonder if it's based on the same platform Sainsburys began upgrading to (then stopped).
cwathen

It looks like Tesco may have finally solved the bug where the contactless reader responds to the card before the till registers it, leading to the need to make multiple attempts. Not had a 'try that one again' for about a month.
WillPS wrote:Yeah, the ones I've seen with the old interface run without issues. I wonder if it's based on the same platform Sainsburys began upgrading to (then stopped).
Would these be the Sainsburys ones with the tabbed payment screen and where the 'No bags' button is in darker colour, almost implying that you have to purchase a bag?

Even the staff interface on these seems a lot more complex, with the old ones when approving things they just scan their card and hit a nice big 'approve' button, with the new ones they seem to have quite a few menus to go through.

My local...umm local has only got these in the past 6 months or so at the same time as they got their contactless rollout. The full size Sainsburys close to me got contactless added to the the original interface.
Critique

A couple of years after we discussed Sainsbury's testing them, and YEARS after we discussed on here the use of them in a Morrisons Local store, Tesco seem to be be the latest supermarket to be experimenting with e-ink price labels in one of their stores, as shown in this tweetfrom SirKen. Indeed, looking back they're the same ones that Sainsbury's tried out, which could even go red for items on promotion! They've came a long way from the originals, which much like the initial Kindles were quite dark, whereas these are very clear, even from a distance.
all new Phil

I don't know what I think about these. Having seen them in France, where they seem to be used a lot more than here, I think they look clunky and untidy. I don't think the technology is quite there yet.
james2001

I notice Ben Miller and his annoying wife are back. I hadn't seen them for a while so I'd assumed Tesco had ditched them. No such luck.
woah

james2001 wrote: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 19.32 I notice Ben Miller and his annoying wife are back. I hadn't seen them for a while so I'd assumed Tesco had ditched them. No such luck.
It's a shame after the quite nice "Food Love Stories" series of adverts which hopefully haven't gone. Still at least the stupid son hasn't returned.
Andrew

He's advertising the AA now.
woah

Andrew wrote: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 21.44 He's advertising the AA now.
I thought that was the Tina Turner toddler?

We do seem to be blessed with some particularly stupid advertising on TV at the moment. I find the Oral-B TV ads especially excruciating, about as subtle as an axe in their desperate attempt to pander to the "young healthy trendy female" market.