Decision '17

WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10.23 I would have said Amber Rudd was a dead cert to replace May, were it not for her tiny majority of just 300.
Yes. They could shift her to a different constituency - say, Maidenhead, perhaps - but it wouldn't reflect well if they did.
Martin Phillp

I'll eat my hat if it isn't another 1974.
TVF's London Lite.
Dr Lobster*

I was one of many that had doubts about Mr Corbyn, but what a night. It's the first election I've stayed up and watched for years. A really great result for Labour.

The sight of Teresa May choking on her own bile at the maidenhead count was truly a great moment, especially when contrasted with her arrogance at the outset.
WillPS

I'm angered by the unbelievable arrogance of standing outside Number 10 and acting like she'd done it. I can''t understand why the Tory grandees are allowing this to happen. This isn't a reaction, this is desperation.

If this government makes it to conference season I will be most surprised.
Alexia

How many voting seats will Tories lose to Speaker / deputy speaker / clerks etc? 2? 3?
Philip

A win for the polls this time round. After the massive lead the Tories had over Labour in the polls for the past few months, the move to Labour was reflected as the lead narrowed and YouGov predicted a hung parliament to the astonishment of many (The Guardian: 'YouGov's poll predicting a hung parliament is certainly brave'). The exit poll was bang on as expected - it was pretty much spot on in 2015 too even though it didn't predict the Cons getting a slight majority.
Alexia

Also, I think Survation (C41 L40) got it near-enough bang on, percentage wise.
bilky asko

It's worth pointing out the increased sample size of just over 30,000, and GfK being the new polling partner to Ipsos MORI.

Let's also not forget that Sinn Féin is now up to 7 MPs, so Theresa May will have a marginally easier time in her current position.
Philip

The front pages tomorrow seem to be suggesting Boris Johnson could be in the frame as the next prime minister. Sam Coates suggesting otherwise

Tory member of government: "Boris will never ever be PM. If he tries to go for it now he will never be forgiven. MPs don't want him"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/stat ... 3160750081
JAS84

MPs didn't want Corbyn either, did they? How many of them are eating their words now?
Dr Lobster*

it's not surprising that May is playing it safe with the reshuffle, but there are still some real turds in the cabinet.

i'm amazed jeremy hunt has managed to survive again.

not surprised that elizabeth truss has been demoted - truss is my local mp and she's completely and utterly useless, i don't think she's competently held any ministerial brief - shes' certainly of the same ilk as teresa may in as much as she can really think on her feet, resorting to repeating the same thing over and ove - the fact that she actually increased her majority around these parts astonishes me.