Terrorism

cdd

My opinion is that curtailments on reporting of terrorism would go a long way to improving things. I personally don't see what videos of people screaming does to help society, but they certainly help those responsible instil fear and panic throughout the population. I think reporting it in purely factual terms, with no images or sensationalist headlines, would go a long way to making these acts less appealing in the first place.
Beep

cdd wrote: Fri 26 May, 2017 17.45 My opinion is that curtailments on reporting of terrorism would go a long way to improving things. I personally don't see what videos of people screaming does to help society, but they certainly help those responsible instil fear and panic throughout the population. I think reporting it in purely factual terms, with no images or sensationalist headlines, would go a long way to making these acts less appealing in the first place.
This. Ultimately what they want is notoriety and people to fear for their general safety - then they've won. While I fully understand why we've seen a rapid upscaling of armed police at key national infrastructure and crowded places (based on finds in the investigation into the MEN attack) by plastering the images all over the news the 'knobheads' (as Joe Lycett rightly branded them) are winning.

The bit that gets me is the farcical notion of 'more police' being on duty. There aren't; they're all extended to 12 hour duties and they're all tired and worn out. Officers doing desk jobs are being put out in uniform to give the appearance of there being more but there isn't. It's not going to stop the brainwashing from these extremist groups, it's not going to stop the planning stages of an attack. The only thing it might do is reassure some people (and put the fear of god into others), and give more eyes to spot things that are out of place and those planning an attack.