Yet another Morrisons thread

bilky asko

Philip wrote: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10.08 I don't think anyone would expect Safeway to still be using the same branding or store design today. It's just at the time it was more modern than what Morrisons replaced it with and they're only recently catching up.
Of course not, but I disagree that Morrisons have only recently caught up. Safeway would have needed a full rebrand before Tesco, ASDA, or Sainsbury's; their logo was the newest one at the time they shut, yet it looks very much of its time.
Philip

Another news article that ends with a bunch of random people's Twitter posts when it could be covered by the sentence 'people on Twitter were also talking about it'.
WillPS

bilky asko wrote: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10.40
Philip wrote: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10.08 I don't think anyone would expect Safeway to still be using the same branding or store design today. It's just at the time it was more modern than what Morrisons replaced it with and they're only recently catching up.
Of course not, but I disagree that Morrisons have only recently caught up. Safeway would have needed a full rebrand before Tesco, ASDA, or Sainsbury's; their logo was the newest one at the time they shut, yet it looks very much of its time.
Not so - ASDA changed their logo in 2002 from:

to:
bilky asko

I consider that a Channel 4 - the same logo, but without the faux-3D extrusion and made a tad thinner. Though much less of a classic.
Philip

Asda and Sainsbury’s have both made minor changes to their normal logos recently, Asda gaining part of the Wal-mart starburst logo and Sainsbury’s gaining an swoosh. Does this mean Tesco now has the longest serving logo that hasn’t had permanent* modifications to it?

*I know a few years ago they tried using single-colour versions of the logo in adverts.
WillPS

bilky asko wrote: Sun 29 Jan, 2017 17.08 I consider that a Channel 4 - the same logo, but without the faux-3D extrusion and made a tad thinner. Though much less of a classic.
Safeway's was also an evolution rather than revolution though:
before:
after:
james2001

Discounting the changing colour schemes, Asda's logo dates back to the mid-80s. The original version had the middle of the As coloured in.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Sun 29 Jan, 2017 17.39
bilky asko wrote: Sun 29 Jan, 2017 17.08 I consider that a Channel 4 - the same logo, but without the faux-3D extrusion and made a tad thinner. Though much less of a classic.
Safeway's was also an evolution rather than revolution though:
before:
after:
Different font, different case, and italicised; not a derivative of the prior logo in the way the ASDA one was.
WillPS

Different colour, different weight and different perspective in the case of the Asda one.

I agree it's not as big a change but still, my point is that the Safeway logo wasn't really new in 2000, not in the way that Sainsburys logo was completely new in 1999. They could have evolved further still, keeping the swirl and doing something different.
Martin Phillp

Sir Ken Morrison has passed away.
TVF's London Lite.