Trinity Mirror & Express Newspapers merger talks

Martin Phillp

According to The Guardian, merger talks between the two newspaper groups are back on after a failed attempt in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... newspapers
TVF's London Lite.
james2001

I wonder how well that will get on with the pro-Brexit, pro-UKIP Express the polar opposite of the political spectrum to the pro-Labour anti-Brexit Mirror.
Alexia

Given Corbyn's overtures today, and Stephen Kinnock's a few weeks ago, it won't be long before far left and far right merge in the political world. The chip rags just getting ahead of the game.
Martin Phillp

The only advantage would be Express and Star journalists may finally receive a payrise for the first time in a few years thanks to penny pinching Richard Desmond freezing their pay, while he donates money to UKIP.
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

I'm not so sure. Daily Star journalists might find themselves out of a job. The Sunday People's sports content is cloned from the Sunday Mirror's almost completely, and some of the news articles turn up in both papers too. The same would almost certainly happen with the Star, if they don't simply close it.
cityprod

I would have no issue with Trinity Mirror taking over Express Newspapers and keeping the Express and the Star as politically right wing.

But I know that if it was the other way around, with Richard Desmond taking over Trinity Mirror, the days of the Mirror being left wing would be numbered.
Whataday

cityprod wrote: Sat 14 Jan, 2017 22.24But I know that if it was the other way around, with Richard Desmond taking over Trinity Mirror, the days of the Mirror being left wing would be numbered.
I don't think that would necessarily be the case. Desmond is a decent business man and I don't think anyone would consider making the Mirror right wing.
cityprod

Whataday wrote: Sun 15 Jan, 2017 00.04
cityprod wrote: Sat 14 Jan, 2017 22.24But I know that if it was the other way around, with Richard Desmond taking over Trinity Mirror, the days of the Mirror being left wing would be numbered.
I don't think that would necessarily be the case. Desmond is a decent business man and I don't think anyone would consider making the Mirror right wing.
The right wing cannot allow any left wing opinion or media to infect the sacred airspace. This is frankly what we are seeing these days. The Mirror would either be closed down or changed to a more conservative tone.

Richard Desmond is a decent businessman? He's a (U)kipper, and there's nothing remotely decent about UKIP.
Whataday

I meant decent as in he knows what he's doing in business.
bilky asko

In a declining industry, Dickie Desmond would hardly decide to cannibalise the audience he'd just gained.

I'm not sure, however, taking over a despicable rag like The Mirror from a declining industry is the best way to exterminate left-wing opinion, as cityprod seems to imagine goes on.
Martin Phillp

From what was being reported last week, apparently Trinity are interested in a 20% share in Express Newspapers with a proposal to merge the back office operations of both organisations. This would be more beneficial for Desmond.
TVF's London Lite.