Poundland to buy out 99p stores

JAS84

wells wrote:Even before the 99p Stores takeover I knew of at least two city centre Poundlands within a 30 second walk of each other.
Same here, in Hull. One in the Prospect Shopping Centre, another just round the corner (a former TJ Hughes), no more than a minute's walk from each other.
thegeek

Slightly late to post this, but I hadn't realised that Poundland had taken over the mantle of 'festive hats on the fascia' from Tesco.

Critique

Speaking of fascias, are B&M gradually becoming less rubbish with theirs? One of the Poundlands (ex-99p stores) in Ipswich recently closed, being across the road from the next nearest branch on a pedestrianised street, and only having had come into existence as 99p stores was bought out. B&M moved in, and it's the first time I've seen them do more than just slap their logo on the building and be done with it. They've got a proper light-up fascia, made out of plastic or something rather than just a printed logo on card or something. Furthermore, the building is ex-QD, and they've actually gone to the effort to put new graphics up on the blocked up windows at the back of the store, that are street level with a small car park. When Poundland occupied the building, they didn't bother scraping the tiny QD logos that went across the frosted vinyl applied to the window, whereas B&M have taken the old stuff down and put their own graphics on so it looks less rubbish.
Alexia

While Newport's isn't exactly tidy, it is bilingual.

https://goo.gl/maps/i7unt2Bv5LR2
bilky asko

My local B&M is near a lot of cones that are finally being replaced, after being used to block off a dangerous right turn from a week after it opened... nearly three years ago.
https://goo.gl/maps/7s1HPvwmqPG2
http://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/news ... are-going/
Jovis

Speaking of B&M, I think whoever was tasked with designing the signs for this B&M was given the wrong information about the store layout...

Martin Phillp

Popped into Peckham today and found the former 99p Stores which was converted to a Poundland is now a furniture store, complete with Poundland green doors and green signage.

The 'old' Poundland now has self checkouts which seem to be spreading to more stores.
TVF's London Lite.
Nick Harvey
God

Martin Phillp wrote:Popped into Peckham today and found the former 99p Stores which was converted to a Poundland is now a furniture store, complete with Poundland green doors and green signage.
I hope all the furniture's a pound!
JAS84

thegeek wrote: Thu 05 Jan, 2017 15.42 Slightly late to post this, but I hadn't realised that Poundland had taken over the mantle of 'festive hats on the fascia' from Tesco.

That's weird. Ninetypenceland?
thegeek

There's a Poundworld Extra which recently opened nearby, in the former BHS unit.
WillPS

JAS84 wrote: Sun 08 Jan, 2017 00.52
thegeek wrote: Thu 05 Jan, 2017 15.42 Slightly late to post this, but I hadn't realised that Poundland had taken over the mantle of 'festive hats on the fascia' from Tesco.

That's weird. Ninetypenceland?
Not that weird. They do it quite a bit where they have new competition locally.