The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Martin Phillp

Noticed today when using the self-checkout at a Metro that I was given a prompt for a receipt.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

My local Express is now playing music.

Oh and MY extra finally has contactless :D :D :D
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

My local Tesco superstore has just had contactless terminals installed too. More surprisingly, the local ASDA has had contactless enabled too! The smaller store doesn't have it yet, which is odd because it has the same terminals/software.

Just Sainsbury's left now and then all the major supermarkets will accept contactless payment...
Martin Phillp

So Tesco have axed Unilever food products such as Marmite and Colmans Mustard as they refuse to pay the extra cost in importing the products from I think The Netherlands?

Clearly this is obviously a ploy by Tesco to get Unilever to bring the cost down, but I'm surprised it's got this far considering I think the CEO worked for Unilever for 27 years!
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

Martin Phillp wrote:So Tesco have axed Unilever food products such as Marmite and Colmans Mustard as they refuse to pay the extra cost in importing the products from I think The Netherlands?

Clearly this is obviously a ploy by Tesco to get Unilever to bring the cost down, but I'm surprised it's got this far considering I think the CEO worked for Unilever for 27 years!
...except a good proportion of the products involved aren't imported. It's a case of (as many, many companies do) overplaying/taking advantage of a problem to make more money.
robschneider

So they're basically bullying Unilever in a "we've got the bigger penis" kinda way?
Martin Phillp

Grabbed from the Fail Online, the products affected.

Food and beverages:

Alsa, Amino, Amora, Annapurna, Aromat, Becel, Ben & Jerry's, Best Foods, Bertolli, Blue Band, Bovril, Breyers, Brooke Bond, Bru, Brummel & Brown, Buavita, Bushell's, Calvé, Chicken Tonight, Choysa, Colman's, Conimex, Continental, Country Crock, Darko, Delma, Du Darfst, Elmlea, Fanacoa, Flora, Fruco, Fudgsicle, Grom, Heartbrand, Hellmann's, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Imperial Margarine, Jif, Joko, Kasia, Kecap Bango, Kissan, Klondike, Knorr, Lady's Choice, Lan-Choo, Lao Cai, Lipton, Lipton Ice Tea, Lizano Sauce, Lyons, Maille, Maizena, Marmite, McCollins, Motions, Mrs. Filbert's, Paddle pop, Pfanni, PG Tips, Phase, Planta, Popsicle, Pot Noodle, Promise, Rama, Rani, Red Rose Tea, Robertsons, Royco, Saga, Sana, Sariwangi, Scottish Blend, Sealtest, Slotts, Stork, Streets, Sunce, T2, Telma, Tortex, Tulipan, Turun sinappi, Unilever Food Solutions, Unox, Vaqueiro

Home and personal care:

All, Ala, Andrelon, Aviance Cosmetics, Axe, Ayush, Baba, Badedas, Biotex, Block & White, Breeze, Brilhante, Brisk, Brylcreem, Caress, Cif, Citra, Clear, Clinic, Close-Up, Coccolino, Comfort, Cream Silk, Degree, DERO, Dimension, Dollar Shave Club, Domestos, Dove, Dove Spa, Dusch Das, Elidor, Eskinol, Fair & Lovely, FDS, Gessy, Glorix, Good Morning, Impulse, Ioma, Lakmé, Lever 2000, Lifebuoy, Linic, Lux, Lynx, Lysoform, Master, Matey, Minerva, Mist, Neutral, Noxzema, Omo, Origins, Organics, Pears Transparent Soap, Pepsodent, Persil, Pond's, Prodent, Quix, Q-Tips, Radox, Rexona, Rinso, Robijn, Sedal, Shield, Signal, Simple, Skip, SR, St Ives, Suave, Sun, Sunlight, Sunsilk, Sure deodorant, Surf, Swan Soap, Thermasilk, Tholl, TIGI, Timotei, Toni & Guy, TRESemmé, Ultrex, Vaseline, Vibrance, Vim, Vinólia, Viso, Wheel, White Beauty, Williams, VO5, Xedex, zendium, Zhonghua, Zwitsal
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

They've just copied a list of Unilever's international brands. You'll have a hard time getting Becel spread or Axe deodorant in this country whatever the situation.
all new Phil

Damn it I'm fresh out of Zwitsal as well.
dosxuk

bilky asko wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:So Tesco have axed Unilever food products such as Marmite and Colmans Mustard as they refuse to pay the extra cost in importing the products from I think The Netherlands?

...except a good proportion of the products involved aren't imported. It's a case of (as many, many companies do) overplaying/taking advantage of a problem to make more money.
But where are the ingredients sourced? Just because sometimes canned/bottled in the UK doesn't isolate it from the weakness of the pound. If even your container from China costs 15% more than it did 6 months ago, you're going to struggle to not put up your prices.
WillPS

dosxuk wrote:
bilky asko wrote:

But where are the ingredients sourced? Just because sometimes canned/bottled in the UK doesn't isolate it from the weakness of the pound. If even your container from China costs 15% more than it did 6 months ago, you're going to struggle to not put up your prices.
Marmite is made in Burton on Trent from yeast extract left over from brewing in Burton on Trent...!