The BIG MetroPoll - IN or OUT ?

Are you IN or OUT ?

IN
71%
OUT
29%

Total votes: 45
robschneider

I do agree there's a number of voters who are going to vote out as it'll have the knock-on effect of almost certainly overthrowing Cameron. No wonder Boris is supporting Brexit!
dosxuk

If the tories want to avoid a very public separation into two parties then reconciliation and acceptance will be the name of the game after the result. Cameron had already said he won't stand for another term as leader, but if he's forced to leave after the result it's going to cause a big schism in the party, which may be unfixable.

If the in's win, can anyone really see it being the end of Boris and Farage? So why would Cameron be out on his ear if he loses?
james2001

The SNP sulked and have been calling for another referendum ever since the last one, it's pretty inevitable the brexiters will do the same. In fact Farage aleady has! At least Alex Salmond waited till he actually lost, Farage is doing it over a month before. He can't have much confidence in winning.
all new Phil

I think we should stay in, and I also think that over 60s shouldn't get a vote on the matter.

My very simple reasoning for staying in is that if it was in our interests to leave, we would have done so already. Apart from the oddballs we've already listed (your likes of Farage, Boris etc), the consensus has pretty much been that being in the EU is beneficial to us. I have no reason to doubt that.

I would also rather that, instead of sitting at the side and whinging that everyone else in Europe hates us, the UK would actually play a leading role in the EU. A huge part of why the EU hasn't been exactly perfect for us is our own attitude towards it. See also: Eurovision.
WillPS

bilky asko wrote:
WillPS wrote:
rdobbie wrote:A massive OUT from me, mainly because the EU is an affront to our democracy and parliamentary sovereignty. I don't want unelected overseas people deciding they can impose or increase taxes on British citizens, with Westminster being totally powerless to stop it.

Simple as that really.
We don't have democracy. The Parliamentary election system we have is a farce; not a system designed to represent the votes of the people.

This is actually what sealed my vote as IN. Overall, the policies of the EU have been good, progressive things that have bolstered the rights of workers and consumers. I take comfort in the fact that those things are beyond the control of our crummy government.

The fact that those in politics who want that power are (broadly) those with the views I most object to reinforces my view that without the EU the man on the street would be far worse off.
The same EU that broke its principles at a drop of a hat because the migrant issue was siddenly affecting the more powerful countries in the EU.

The lack of Proportional Representation is no reason, in my eyes, to support an even less democratic organisation and cement its place for decades.
I wont lie, the migrant crisis has really rocked my confidence in the EU. The trouble with that, I have concluded, is that the EU lacks the power to dictate a fair solution - but seeing as transfer of more powers to Brussels is not on the agenda, they are hamstrung on it.

Regardless of whether it's more or less proportional, it generates policies which I am overall in favour of. I don't have the luxury of living somewhere with proper devolution of power, nor do I have the luxury of confidence in the UK government - particularly the current flavour. The EU is my constant.
Finn

all new Phil wrote:I would also rather that, instead of sitting at the side and whinging that everyone else in Europe hates us, the UK would actually play a leading role in the EU. A huge part of why the EU hasn't been exactly perfect for us is our own attitude towards it. See also: Eurovision.
Absolutely.
Less whining and more doing something about improving the EU.
Which can only be done from the inside.
bilky asko

all new Phil wrote:I also think that over 60s shouldn't get a vote on the matter.
Apart from that being illegal (especially under, er, the EU), why do you think that should be the case?
all new Phil

Because I think the result will be skewed by the over-60 vote. It's pretty fair to say that younger people are more likely to vote to stay in, and older people are more likely to vote out. Older people are also more likely to vote.

In the nicest possible way - older people will face less and shorter repercussions from the result.
Martin Phillp

Not every single person over 60 is a raving Kipper.
TVF's London Lite.
james2001

My mum's over 60 and most certainly isn't a Kipper (or even a Tory) or Brexiter!
bilky asko

all new Phil wrote:Because I think the result will be skewed by the over-60 vote. It's pretty fair to say that younger people are more likely to vote to stay in, and older people are more likely to vote out. Older people are also more likely to vote.

In the nicest possible way - older people will face less and shorter repercussions from the result.
I didn't realise it was OK to be ageist. Your attitude disgusts me.