Adverts that irritate and entertain

scottishtv

Alexia wrote:New TheTrainline / Trainline / trainline advert is.... interesting.
Their new by-line of "Tickets. Platforms. Times." looks designed to try and shift people away from National Rail Enquiries. Wonder if the ATOC would be a bit peeved by that.
Philip

scottishtv wrote:So it's been on a lot over the last couple of weeks, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw the new Pot Noodle ad for the first time.

"Success doesn't come on a plate". Nicely done.
Made me laugh as well - first advert I've seen in a long time that is actually good.
Alexia

These McDonald's adverts leave me consternated. On one hand I'm very much in tune with, and endorse, their message of not believing shit you read on the internet. On the other hand, putting your trust in their attitude of "you can believe us / this farmer / this butcher" etc. is equally as dodgy as any Facebook fauxtrage or panic scare. Their vested interest is to get you to eat their fatty salty shit masquerading as comestible goods so any attempt at reassurance on their part is going to provoke the very distrust they are seeking to alleviate. Also their use of anonymous talking heads (or in this case just heads) is very "I'm a dentist and you should DEFINITELY use Colgate)".
bilky asko

Alexia wrote:These McDonald's adverts leave me consternated. On one hand I'm very much in tune with, and endorse, their message of not believing shit you read on the internet. On the other hand, putting your trust in their attitude of "you can believe us / this farmer / this butcher" etc. is equally as dodgy as any Facebook fauxtrage or panic scare. Their vested interest is to get you to eat their fatty salty shit masquerading as comestible goods so any attempt at reassurance on their part is going to provoke the very distrust they are seeking to alleviate. Also their use of anonymous talking heads (or in this case just heads) is very "I'm a dentist and you should DEFINITELY use Colgate)".
The dentist one is always hilarious. Loads of dentists recommend Sensodyne, but only because they send out shit loads of free samples to dentists to give out.

Incidentally, the only thing you need to check for when choosing a toothpaste is fluoride content - if it's 1450 ppm in total, then it's good enough. Anything else is personal choice (thouugh stannous fluoride may provide some advantages, such as Oral-B Pro Expert. It's hardly vital though).

Same with brushing method - manual brushing is only beaten (and only slightly) by oscillating-rotating electric heads, and that's only when it's used properly (funnily enough, it's Oral-B as well). For most people, manual brushing is easier to remember and harder to mess up - hence why interdental brushing is often recommended over flossing.

Basically, the cheapest 1450 ppm toothpaste and proper brushing method (manual brushing, with either interdental brushing or flossing) will serve you just fune.
rdobbie

Alexia wrote:These McDonald's adverts leave me consternated. On one hand I'm very much in tune with, and endorse, their message of not believing shit you read on the internet. On the other hand, putting your trust in their attitude of "you can believe us / this farmer / this butcher" etc. is equally as dodgy as any Facebook fauxtrage or panic scare. Their vested interest is to get you to eat their fatty salty shit masquerading as comestible goods so any attempt at reassurance on their part is going to provoke the very distrust they are seeking to alleviate. Also their use of anonymous talking heads (or in this case just heads) is very "I'm a dentist and you should DEFINITELY use Colgate)".
Nicely put. I don't like the advert's underlying sneering tone towards critics of McDonalds; the clear implication is that McDonalds is the innocent victim of a smear campaign by unintelligent internet trolls.

They did something similar a few years ago with a website called "Make Up Your Own Mind" which purported to shatter urban myths about their food. The site claimed to give answers to actual user-submitted questions, but it was clear that the content was rigged and manipulated; the questioner was inevitably left looking stupid while McDonalds always came out smelling of roses in their answer. One such example of their FAQs was: "is it true that your banana milkshake contains no milk?", followed by a condescending reassurance that the main ingredient is of course real milk. How could it possibly not contain milk, you silly billy! But I don't believe that was ever a most-asked question in the first place; I believe it was more likely: "is it true that your banana milkshake contains no banana?", to which the correct answer would have been "yes, that is true". Yet the latter Q&A was nowhere to be seen on the site.
bilky asko

I can't think of a single bottle banana milkshake on the market that contains real banana.
scottishtv

Of this year's Christmas ads, I actually quite like M&S one which rather than a big overblown fairytale, looks fairly modern and relevant.

We've looked at ad small print on here before, and one bit that caught my eye was from a scene of kids jumping up and down on their beds:

Yes, in the interests of full disclosure, this child is a gymnast:

Huh?!
Alexia

AKA we aren't so responsible as to film an advert with just ordinary kids who may get hurt from bouncing on a trampoline masquerading as a bed so we used a trained child instead.
thegeek

The two girls waiting for a bus in the new Google ad would probably be faster walking than waiting for a 277.
thegeek

scottishtv wrote:We've looked at ad small print on here before
Speaking of which, Asda ads now point out that "'Save Money. Live Better.' is Asda's mission statement".
Alexia

Finish dishwasher tablets using the misery of relationship breakups as a framing device to flog their overpriced blocks of salty shite.