The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Andrew

I hadn't seen this story, so when buying some Chicken yesterday I was confused about the new fake farm brand, and couldn't work out if it was supposed to be better or worse than standard Tesco brand. There also seemed to be much more shelf space dedicated to it than Tesco brand.

Couldn't it back fire as people who wouldn't buy Everyday Value, buy fake farm, whereas before they would have bought standard Tesco brand.

It's the unknown brands that put me off the discount supermarkets, I don't see them as a selling point. I'd know I was getting a decent standard with Tesco brand than an unknown brand I know nothing about.
jonathan

Neil DG wrote:
jonathan wrote:Either way, I really don't like the falseness of the branding and if I had the choice of a Tesco branded pack of minced beef or a Dale Farms (the proposal in the survey) I would choose Tesco.
Haven't you just talked yourself into buying a slightly more expensive brand?
This is based on the Dale Farms beef being the same product as Tesco standard beef and the same price. I would choose the Tesco branded one and think the Dale Farms one was an inferior product. My reasoning isn't rational but that's how I feel about it. Anyway, I've since looked at Tesco groceries website and see the Tesco branded options are still available so my assumption from the survey was wrong. Contrary to my view on Tesco standard/Dale Farms I would be more likely to consider Dale Farms than Tesco Everyday Value.
Pete

The whole thing is baffling. I don't get how they didn't learn from discount brands that it doesn't work.

Plus they've had loads of bad press about it *before* they even hit the shops.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Dale Farm seems like a particularly odd choice of fake name to me: viewtopic.php?t=6503
bilky asko

WillPS wrote:Dale Farm seems like a particularly odd choice of fake name to me: viewtopic.php?t=6503
Especially when I can already get Dale Farm cheese: http://www.dalefarm.co.uk/pages/dale_farm/Cheese
gottago

So they've spent the last 18 months simplifying their product ranges and now they're going to make it much more complicated instead? They seem to have this very odd idea that the reason why people go to Aldi and Lidl is because they just love buying products that look like a knock off version of their favourite brands. They completely miss the fact that if these discounters didn't have these made up brands the shelves would just be full of identical looking packaging because of the lack of product choice. Tesco having their own daft, not particularly obvious discount brands just confuses things when they've got such a large choice of brands for each food anyway.
Alexia

Wait - so Harvest Morn, Branwells and Dairyfine DON'T exist?!
jonathan

WillPS wrote:Dale Farm seems like a particularly odd choice of fake name to me: viewtopic.php?t=6503
bilky asko wrote:
Especially when I can already get Dale Farm cheese: http://www.dalefarm.co.uk/pages/dale_farm/Cheese
Seems they changed their mind on this and went for Boswell farms instead: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/ProductB ... =G00019076

In fact the only one that did remain from the proposals in the survey was Willow Farms.

Philip

The packaging looks nicer than the old Discount Brands but I agree that I would prefer to buy Tesco/Tesco Value/Tesco Everyday Value than a made up farm brand name
bilky asko

gottago wrote:They seem to have this very odd idea that the reason why people go to Aldi and Lidl is because they just love buying products that look like a knock off version of their favourite brands. They completely miss the fact that if these discounters didn't have these made up brands the shelves would just be full of identical looking packaging because of the lack of product choice.
It's just a massive coincidence that the pretend brands look virtually the same as the actual brands, is it?

These new Tesco brands aren't trying to ape an actual brand (the Tesco logo is pretty prominent on the packs), and is more a mixture of the M&S Lochmuir brand (a generic name that alludes to, but doesn't actually refer to, an actual location), and the Morrisons Market Deals brand.
bilky asko

Just been for a visit to my local ASDA 40 miles away in York. The last time I went, all the standard tills had been replaced by hybrid self-service tills.

This time, all the fancy tills have been replaced by the old-fashioned clicky-clack keyed tills of yore in dark grey (bar 3 conveyor belt self service tills, the standard models, and the ones dedicated to the broken down Scan and Go).

Although it feels like you've travelled 20 years into the past, the queues are moving much faster.