Independent newspaper closes down

JAS84

Oh very funny! Of course I meant Striker and Hagar the Horrible.
JAS84

And in more newspaper bad news, the Mirror and Sun have both increased their prices. The Sun is now 50p on weekdays, up 25% from 40p - how the hell can they justify that!?! The Mirror is now £1 on Saturday (10p increase, 10%), and 65p on weekdays (5p increase, around 7.7%).
Martin Phillp

I wonder if Mirror readers are subsidising the launch of The New Day?
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

Martin Phillp wrote:I wonder if Mirror readers are subsidising the launch of The New Day?
What a crap paper that is. The content is very thin on the ground.
Martin Phillp

bilky asko wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:I wonder if Mirror readers are subsidising the launch of The New Day?
And they expect readers to pay 50p for it from tomorrow? For a so called gender neutral paper, it's very female skewed.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

Martin Phillp wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
And they expect readers to pay 50p for it from tomorrow? For a so called gender neutral paper, it's very female skewed.
I meant The New Day, but I suppose it could apply to both (I refuse to read the Daily Mirror or Daily Mail).
Martin Phillp

bilky asko wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
I meant The New Day, but I suppose it could apply to both (I refuse to read the Daily Mirror or Daily Mail).
I also meant The New Day, sorry for not making that clear. The paper is also supposed to be politically neutral, but they've achieved that by being fluffy.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:And in more newspaper bad news, the Mirror and Sun have both increased their prices. The Sun is now 50p on weekdays, up 25% from 40p - how the hell can they justify that!?! The Mirror is now £1 on Saturday (10p increase, 10%), and 65p on weekdays (5p increase, around 7.7%).
It's not really hard to justify charging 50p for anything in 2016. A physical newspaper has so many inherent costs - most of which will rise in price rather than fall, and will be hit by the continuing trend downwards in circulation which affects both the revenue they can raise from advertisers and the economies of scale of the entire operation.
bilky asko

Martin Phillp wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:
I also meant The New Day, sorry for not making that clear. The paper is also supposed to be politically neutral, but they've achieved that by being fluffy.
Ah right, I didn't realise its price was going up too. At that price, The i is much better value than The New Day (unless JP ruin it).
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
JAS84 wrote:And in more newspaper bad news, the Mirror and Sun have both increased their prices. The Sun is now 50p on weekdays, up 25% from 40p - how the hell can they justify that!?! The Mirror is now £1 on Saturday (10p increase, 10%), and 65p on weekdays (5p increase, around 7.7%).
It's not really hard to justify charging 50p for anything in 2016. A physical newspaper has so many inherent costs - most of which will rise in price rather than fall, and will be hit by the continuing trend downwards in circulation which affects both the revenue they can raise from advertisers and the economies of scale of the entire operation.
Considering Trinity Mirror charged 25p for the first two weeks (and free on day 1), it appears there's no money to subsidise The New Day without bumping up the cover price of the Daily Mirror.

Dirty Des and Murdoch have budgets to reduce the cover price of their titles, although price reductions aren't working for the Daily Star which is currently 20p.

It's also worth noting that Express and Star journalists haven't received a pay rise for at least 4 years.
TVF's London Lite.
Alexia

Martin Phillp wrote:It's also worth noting that Express and Star journalists haven't received a pay rise for at least 4 years.
There is no such thing as an "Express and Star journalist".