Independent newspaper closes down

Alexia

It didn't have political balance at all. It was unashamedly liberal, lefty and progressive. In the end it tried to out-Guardian the Guardian. Never gonna happen.
Martin Phillp

I'll give credit to Lebedev for stemming the debt, yet the decision to support the coalition at the last election didn't help them with their core left wing readership. I wonder how long it'll take him to sell or close his other 'toy' London Live TV?

However, it was always going to be the Indy that would lead the way with the axing of print.

Sister paper The 'i' Paper is being sold to Johnston Press, publishers of the Yorkshire Post among others.
TVF's London Lite.
Finn

Alexia wrote:It didn't have political balance at all. It was unashamedly liberal, lefty and progressive. In the end it tried to out-Guardian the Guardian. Never gonna happen.
Although it did back the Tories/LibDem coalition at the election.
Finn

I'm not whether the Independent in its print form will translate into the website which tends to be full of clickbait in a more BuzzFeed/National Enquirer mould.
JAS84

thegeek wrote:Can a newspaper be a newspaper if it's not on paper?
No. That's like calling BBC.co.uk a newspaper. The newspaper will be gone, the website continues. I'm not denying that.
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:
thegeek wrote:Can a newspaper be a newspaper if it's not on paper?
No. That's like calling BBC.co.uk a newspaper. The newspaper will be gone, the website continues. I'm not denying that.
Except the BBC has never been a newspaper, has it>
simonipswich

I think that this is only the first newspaper to do this and that in the next 5 to 10 years the others will follow and there will be no physical newspapers at all. Every year the circulation figures are down, people would rather read them online or using an app. We are already seeing local newspapers cutting back on print editions, some who printed daily now only print a couple of times a week.
Alexia

Neil DG wrote:
Alexia wrote:It didn't have political balance at all. It was unashamedly liberal, lefty and progressive. In the end it tried to out-Guardian the Guardian. Never gonna happen.
Although it did back the Tories/LibDem coalition at the election.
Its hand was forced by its blinkered almost prejudicial presumption that any Labour govt would exist at the behest of the SNP, who they, or their leader column writer at least, seemed to hold an unhealthy obsession with. Their opinion was anti-SNP, not pro Tory.
james2001

Because it's not as if the SNP themselves weren't regularly implying that throughout the campaign... We even had Alex Salmond joking he'd be writing Labour's budget.
JAS84

More newspaper cutbacks - The Sun has got rid of it's comic strip page.
james2001

You mean the whole paper then? (hurr, hurr, hurr)