The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

thegeek

the first endcap (presumably quite a high-profile slot) in my local Tesco appears to be dedicated to the 'Christmas for Pets' category.

I don't even
Martin Phillp

Mobile by Sainsburys is to close on January 15th 2016, due to Vodafone not renewing the MVNO contract. It only had 150,000 customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34530384
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

Martin Phillp wrote:Mobile by Sainsburys is to close on January 15th 2016, due to Vodafone not renewing the MVNO contract. It only had 150,000 customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34530384
That's one amazing lead image they've used. "Sainsbury's to choose between dropping its mobile network or selling breadsticks"
thegeek

In amongst all the annoying "your Tesco points add up" announcements at the self-checkout the other day, I heard the old female voice asking someone at the adjacent till to "please scan your mobile phone card or select airtime voucher". I wonder why they didn't get these ones revoiced?
Martin Phillp

I tried to exchange a 10p Bag for Life in Sainsbury's today. Instead of the large bag, they gave me two 5p bags instead.
TVF's London Lite.
Critique

thegeek wrote:In amongst all the annoying "your Tesco points add up" announcements at the self-checkout the other day, I heard the old female voice asking someone at the adjacent till to "please scan your mobile phone card or select airtime voucher". I wonder why they didn't get these ones revoiced?
Hmm, I had a similar thing happen today on my first encounter with the new voice. The card machine in the self service checkout* at Tesco didn't think that my card had a chip in, so I got some instructions about making sure I put it in the right way but instead of being treated to the old voice, I think I was treated to a different female voice. It sounded similar to the old female voice but was just a little bit different (so perhaps it is the same woman but they were recorded separately and so sound a bit different, like with the ITV News voiceover lady at the moment who never sounds quite the same if it's a non-standard voiceover).

As for the new voice, I don't like it. It's like they've tried to add a bit of warmth and personality to it, but IMO they haven't succeeded. I'd much rather prefer the old 'Please take your change - notes are dispensed below the scanner' instead of the new 'Don't forget your change - especially notes!' which is a bit patronising and more annoying as they've tried to use a friendly tone of voice which sounds fake as it's said in the exact same way everytime, which didn't matter before because the old voice was comparatively emotionless and blunt.

And why does it refer to 'Tesco points' instead of 'clubcard points'? If the 'your Tesco points add up'' thing is a replacement for the old 'Clubcard accepted' thing, surely it goes against the purpose of the new voiceover as it's longer and not as simple a statement as before?
JAS84

Martin Phillp wrote:I tried to exchange a 10p Bag for Life in Sainsbury's today. Instead of the large bag, they gave me two 5p bags instead.
They axed their 10p bag for life at the same time as the free bags, and introduced a 5p bag for life instead.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shoppin ... -bags.html
cwathen

Maybe it's a side effect of trying to sound more friendly and less authoritarian but the new voice seems significantly quieter and the staff don't hear it. This can get a bit frustrating if you need approval or have a bagging problem at a busy metro and the cashier doesn't notice for ages that you're waiting.
Philip Cobbold

JAS84 wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:I tried to exchange a 10p Bag for Life in Sainsbury's today. Instead of the large bag, they gave me two 5p bags instead.
They axed their 10p bag for life at the same time as the free bags, and introduced a 5p bag for life instead.
The 10p Bag for Life is still available, and will continue to be so.
WillPS

"Find your product, or have a browse" - that's my favourite.
Martin Phillp

Philip Cobbold wrote:
JAS84 wrote:
The 10p Bag for Life is still available, and will continue to be so.
So I've been told by Sainsburys twice and yet they continue not to stock the 10p bags at two local stores.
TVF's London Lite.