Yet another Morrisons thread

WillPS

woah wrote:Looks like Morrisons are trialling NCR self service checkouts:

https://twitter.com/dresserman/status/6 ... 3126960129

I hope they roll them out and get rid of the rubbish Wincor-Nixdorf things, even aesthetically the NCR looks loads better.
Agreed.
Martin Phillp wrote:
scottishtv wrote:Bizarrely, I never seem to encounter any issues with the Wincor-Nixdorf ones in Waitrose but everywhere else they have them always results in a frustrating, character-building exercise.
Waitrose ones being card only may resolve some of the issues when it comes to taking cash/coins without deducting it from the total for a start.
It seems to be weight issues that I have with them, particularly on made in store stuff where the weight varies considerably and also light stuff.
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
woah wrote:It seems to be weight issues that I have with them, particularly on made in store stuff where the weight varies considerably and also light stuff.
I have issues with very light goods even on the NCR tills.

The Morrisons Wincor-Nixdorf tills don't like carriers not on the rack either which causes them to bring up the item not in the bag prompt.
TVF's London Lite.
Critique

Does the scanning surface on a self service till act as a set of scales at all? I always assumed it did because that part of the till looks visually similar to the combined scanner/scales area of a normal Tesco/Sainsbury's (etc) till, but I don't think I've ever had to use them as scales if that's what they are. Saying that, I can't imagine why you'd have to weigh anything on them because the bagging area is weighted.

And speaking of bagging areas, I've noticed that Sainsbury's self service tills have been crying 'double weight bagged, please wait for assistance' at me a lot recently, despite not doing anything differently. Are the bagging area scales ever 'zeroed'?
woah

Critique wrote:Does the scanning surface on a self service till act as a set of scales at all? I always assumed it did because that part of the till looks visually similar to the combined scanner/scales area of a normal Tesco/Sainsbury's (etc) till, but I don't think I've ever had to use them as scales if that's what they are. Saying that, I can't imagine why you'd have to weigh anything on them because the bagging area is weighted.

And speaking of bagging areas, I've noticed that Sainsbury's self service tills have been crying 'double weight bagged, please wait for assistance' at me a lot recently, despite not doing anything differently. Are the bagging area scales ever 'zeroed'?
They are indeed scales, for weighing loose fruit/veg usually.
Pete

Critique wrote:Are the bagging area scales ever 'zeroed'?
Given (in England, and historically up here) they had a load of carrier bags on them, that were slowly reduced bag by bag, they'd need to.

I was always under the impression they automatically zeroed both at the pushing of "Pay" (to calculate the total weight of your shopping) and then again at the removal of that weight (at which point it changes to the "Start" screen).
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Has anyone here ever pressed the buttons on the scale built into the scanner? One is to zero the scale (which brought one back into service for me on one occasion), and I know one makes a loud noise if you press it - it certainly catches the assistant's attention.
Martin Phillp

bilky asko wrote:Has anyone here ever pressed the buttons on the scale built into the scanner? One is to zero the scale (which brought one back into service for me on one occasion), and I know one makes a loud noise if you press it - it certainly catches the assistant's attention.
I haven't done it, but I've seen the assistants attempt to reset the scales using that button.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

The other one is the volume control for the beep. Usually has five steps and goes up one every time you press it and then goes back to the lowest.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Philip Cobbold

That button also changes the pitch of the beep, if you hold your finger on the button for a couple of seconds.
bilky asko

I have to say, the amount of custom at Morrisons has really picked up as of late. It is far more packed at Friday teatime than it used to be, and it was certainly far busier than the nearest (and bigger) Sainsbury's when I went in today.
thegeek

our local M local has a week of trading to go. It's a bit of a sad sight at the moment: the top and bottom shelves have been emptied, the fridges are half-empty, and they're basically only restocking fresh items.

The one cashier left seemed to think that the Co-op were taking over a job lot of the convenience stores, though I can't see any news of that online.