2015 UK Election

barcode

This is a bit cheeky from the lib dems.

http://www.blukip.org/
Philip

It's nothing new, they had a guerrilla campaign last time called 'Labservative'.

Critique

I must say that Nicola Sturgeon really has shone in these debates so far, and she makes me feel much better about a Labour/SNP coalition after the election, should that be the result. She has quite a different approach to Salmond, who I didn't really like from the way he came across to me when speaking to the media - I seem to remember he asked a lot of loaded questions, also making statements in relation to the 'Tory government' and the 'Westminster elite', which is something Sturgeon seems to have certainly toned down. Obviously the circumstances are different, and we're fighting an election rather than a referendum, but I do think Sturgeon comes across much better, especially as she's been appealing for Labour to work with them to keep the Conservatives out of government, which makes the party as a whole seem much more co-operative than the SNP did under Salmond.
all new Phil

I have to say, I find all this talk of "locking the Tories out of Downing Street" mightily offensive to the several million people who vote for them.

I mean, at the moment, they have my vote - more as an anti-Labour vote than anything. I wouldn't be completely opposed to the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Greens forming an alliance against the others - I think they could do well combined as one party.

There just seems to be zero appetite for Labour to come back into power - as demonstrated so well in Scotland. They'd be doomed if they had serious left-wing competition in the rest of the UK.
Peter Crossley

robschneider wrote:
Alexia wrote:There's a thought .... Any correlation between rise of UKIP and UK doing crap in Eurovision?
You might get the impression that Europe hates us looking at the scoreboard, but no. The only real explanation is the UK not wanting to fully join the party (ie. take the Euro) or even join the party at all with the looming referendum. I'd love to know what, if any, role Tony Blair's victory 36 hours or so before the 1997 show played in us winning that year.
Switzerland , Norway , Russia and Israel take part in the Eurovision Song Contest each year and none of those countries is a EU member.
By the way to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision Song Contest this year Australia will be taking part. Australia isn't in the EU.
Peter Crossley

UKIP's Nigel Farage was brilliant in last nights BBC election debate. The performance of the other leaders was pure car crash tv.
With regard to the remarks that Mr.Farage made about the selection of the audience for the debate, yes its true that a market research group made the initial audience selection. However the final say on selecting the audience is made not by market research group by by a senior BBC official. I know this to be true because I've worked for the BBC.
By the way remember that UKIP's manifesto has been fully costed.
martindtanderson

Peter Crossley wrote:UKIP's Nigel Farage was brilliant in last nights BBC election debate. The performance of the other leaders was pure car crash tv.
With regard to the remarks that Mr.Farage made about the selection of the audience for the debate, yes its true that a market research group made the initial audience selection. However the final say on selecting the audience is made not by market research group by by a senior BBC official. I know this to be true because I've worked for the BBC.
By the way remember that UKIP's manifesto has been fully costed.
Being fully costed is not a guarantee it is full of good policies. I do not agree with anything that UKIP support, and so whether it is costed or fantasy, it means little to me.
Critique

Peter Crossley wrote:By the way remember that UKIP's manifesto has been fully costed.
The manifesto may well be fully costed but it hinges entirely on the referendum it talks about within its manifesto. If UKIP lost that then you would have to tear the entire manifesto up as it is just page after page of 'we'll do this out of money we've saved by leaving the EU'.

Also the policies are shit.
Alexia

Peter Crossley wrote: The performance of the other leaders was pure car crash tv.
If only all car crashes produced a coherent, sane, logical, happy outcome, with three people hugging each other at a job well done. I don't know what car crashes you've been involved in Mr Cross (although something seems to have given you brain damage) but if you want walking wounded, wrecked dreams and dented reputations, you'll want the one-man-write-off-job that is Nigel "Second-Hand Salesman" Farage. Sweaty, offensive, over the hill - it's Swiss Toni but without the ever having made love to a beautiful woman bit.
Alexia

Fully costed doesn't necessarily mean "best use of funds" by the way.

I could write a manifesto tomorrow for my house - I will sell my washing machine for £100. I will then use that £100 to buy a plastic model of the Venus De Milo to put in my garden. But THAT'S OK - because I've said in my manifesto how I'm going to PAY for the Venus De Milo.
scottishtv

Critique wrote:She's been appealing for Labour to work with them to keep the Conservatives out of government, which makes the party as a whole seem much more co-operative than the SNP did under Salmond.
Salmond's just been put on mute for now by the party, whilst Sturgeon is pushed as the reasonable, star performer. Which she is, I should point out. That said, I'm pretty sure he'll become the SNP Group Leader at Westminster when elected for the Gordon constituency, and be as vocal as ever. Seems that with 23 years as an MP already under his belt, he just can't resist being part of team Westminster, and will be back with an expanded role.

Nicola is of course a decent leader and will lead any deal - if they are in the frame to work on one, still an if - but he'll have to look after delivering it, and will likely stir up grievance and anger over it. Nicola's attention will quickly turn back to being First Minister of Scotland and campaigning for the real prize the SNP wants - another four years in power at Holyrood in next year's Scottish election. Caring about England, Wales and Northern Ireland isn't really an SNP priority.