2015 UK Election

WillPS

Yeah. £10 to any charity you like if the SNP join up with the Tories. It would kill the Nationals dead.
barcode

WillPS wrote:Yeah. £10 to any charity you like if the SNP join up with the Tories. It would kill the Nationals dead.
I take that aswell: £10 aswell, I'll take pic of my donation. Christ, SNP MP along would rebel, vote down the queens speech.
barcode

WillPS wrote:Yeah. £10 to any charity you like if the SNP join up with the Tories. It would kill the Nationals dead.
I take that aswell: £10 aswell, I'll take pic of my donation. Christ, SNP MP along would rebel, vote down the queens speech.
Alexia

I will donate £100 to UKIP, which is equivalent to the donation I have already made to the party of my choice, if SNP and Tories go into any kind of formal coalition or informal vote agreement after the election.
Gavin Scott
Admin

all new Phil wrote:I've got an out-there prediction to make.

Tory and SNP coalition (or looser agreement)

I think the Tories will make them an offer they can't refuse on devolution of powers (esp on spending) in return for English votes for English people (so therefore SNP not being able to vote down a Tory budget). I also think there's a grudging respect between Cameron and Sturgeon.

It'd mean Scotland gets the autonomy it's after on austerity or otherwise.
all new Phil wrote:You mark my words - the Tories will make them an offer they can't refuse. It's in their interests long-term to do so. Why would the Scottish people mind what would effectively be Tories in power in England and the SNP in Scotland?
Well, it would be a misguided man to dismiss your idea entirely. This is shaping up to be a most unpredictable election.

Your suggestion that the SNP could be persuaded on the promise of greater devolution and tax and welfare control would be difficult to implement because it would never get through a vote - even if all +/- 50 SNP MPs backed it . There is absolutely zero appetite from the Conservative back benches for it, nor the front bench come to that. Its been made abundantly clear over the last year that the English votes anomaly and the Barnett formula will be resolved - but not by 'rewarding' Scotland.

This leads on to the fatal flaw - based on the pre-manifesto announcement of the Conservatives, scrapping the Barnett formula as laid out in the Smith Commission will leave Scotland £6bn worse off - and that's without getting into any kind of discussion about gas and oil revenues (yes, yes they're worth nothing and will never recover in price..).

So it absolutely wouldn't be the 'tories in the south and SNP in the north', as the starting point of any Scotland budget in this circumstance would be a block grant based on the austerity figures London decide upon.

As a side note, I actually don't think Ms Sturgeon has respect for Cameron - grudging or otherwise. She does however get on very well with Ruth Davidson and Kez Dougdale in Scotland, so that really just points to Cameron being, in essence, an absolute cunt.

So, if Labour refuse to accept a confidence and supply arrangement from the SNP then I think we will see Cameron attempt to hold a minority government together periodically propped up by the NI parties and UKIP. A shoogly peg.

Very messy and probably shortlived as parliaments go. Strategically, having the SNP fight to scupper on a vote by vote basis will increase the appetite to revisit independence. Everything that's happening at the moment - including smear tactics from the forth estate again, so soon since the referendum are creating an ineffable, unmistakable trajectory.
WillPS

Gavin Scott wrote:Everything that's happening at the moment - including smear tactics from the forth estate again, so soon since the referendum are creating an ineffable, unmistakable trajectory.
Oh give over. You can't have a referendum every 5 years.

It's looking good for a Labour/SNP link up of sorts as things stand. The SNP should embrace that, detoxify themselves (by promising not to campaign for independence in the term of the next government) and then I think we'd have a government with a proper mandate both sides of the border. The unanswered question of when the SNP will "strike" has already spoiled their chances of a formal coalition.
barcode

WillPS wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:Everything that's happening at the moment - including smear tactics from the forth estate again, so soon since the referendum are creating an ineffable, unmistakable trajectory.
Oh yes we can, I'll be demanding a referendum if the Tories get back in again. ;) It could come as early as September 2016. Its getting worse for them since new polls are saying David Mundell will lose his seat.

Bigger question has to be why would anyone vote for David Cameron? He has double the national debt, Not even labour did that and at least we had stuff to show for all money labour spent. Of course how much of that debt is in Bank shares?
Gavin Scott
Admin

WillPS wrote:
That's what you think.
thegeek

barcode wrote:Bigger question has to be why would anyone vote for David Cameron?
You might find it hard to understand barcy, but outwith Scotland they have these things called Tories. They vote for people with blue rosettes and policies that you might find abhorrent - and can't understand why anyone might think that, say, independence for Scotland is a good idea.
barcode

thegeek wrote:
barcode wrote:Bigger question has to be why would anyone vote for David Cameron?
You might find it hard to understand barcy, but outwith Scotland they have these things called Tories. They vote for people with blue rosettes and policies that you might find abhorrent - and can't understand why anyone might think that, say, independence for Scotland is a good idea.
I see what you did there ;) You mist out half my question:
Bigger question has to be why would anyone vote for David Cameron? He has double the national debt
I can understand why people may have more right wing ideas, heck UKIP got an MEP..... but can you reply to the next part of my Q? How can any right wing person expect the fact he double the national debt?
all new Phil

Oh, so we've not had enough cuts you mean?