Scottish independence

barcode

scottishtv wrote:
barcode wrote:I dont think that will be the case, and its still possible DC could become even weaker because of this.
What the hell are you on about?

David Cameron, weaker in Scotland? How? But anyway, I doubt he cares. I don't care for the Conservatives, but he's playing a blinder by attempting to bring the English votes for English matters issue into this same 'more powers for Scotland' thing. It's clear he's out to try and nobble future Labour majority votes at Westminster.
I never said Scotland, I never wrote Scotland.
Pete

scottishtv wrote:I've also seen the stat about 16-17 year olds all voting yes, despite the sample size being only 14 individuals. I think there is something ironic about a Tory Lord's opinion poll now being used by Salmond and friends to try and partly justify their defeat.
oh really? Is this stat coming from Ashcroft's poll? I would have thought he'd have had better samples if only to satisfy his own political geekiness.

I would be very interested to see a better sized sample of the younger voters, especially as earlier polls were suggesting they were actually siding with the status quo.
scottishtv wrote:As for Johann Lamont, she must know she can't stay in charge of the Scottish Labour Party into a 2016 Scottish election, we might as well just not bother having the vote. She's done a really bad job over the last few years, and was practically non-existent during the referendum campaign.
Oh she's very poor. I've always liked Sturgeon and think Ruth Davidson always comes over well (crap tory policies aside) but Lamont is just a bit of a non-entity. I doubt these Gordon Brown rumours will come to anything although it very well might completely reinvigorate Scottish Labour.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
barcode

Better Q; Who is out there to replace Johann Lamont
scottishtv

Pete wrote:oh really? Is this stat coming from Ashcroft's poll? I would have thought he'd have had better samples if only to satisfy his own political geekiness.
You might argue that if they did some proper sampling, they'd have realised before the day that they weren't going to win ;). Paul Hutcheon of the pro-indy Sunday Herald did a piece yesterday, which included some apparent difficulties with the canvassing system used by Yes. Along with other bits of data, they genuinely expected a 53% win on the night. The other side were using Labour's voter ID system for months and were comfortable with the returns - which is why the YouGov poll and other toghtening of the polls came as such a fright.

Getting back to Ashcroft, yes it seems it was only he that broke down the 16-24 group into 16-17 as well. The results are here (see full data tables). The idea that only the 55+ age groups were majority no voters are also disputed by a YouGov poll undertaken on the day itself which shows a mix of yes/no splits across ages as reported by voters after they voted. Details.
Pete wrote:I've always liked Sturgeon and think Ruth Davidson always comes over well (crap tory policies aside) but Lamont is just a bit of a non-entity. I doubt these Gordon Brown rumours will come to anything although it very well might completely reinvigorate Scottish Labour.
Yes, you can tell Ruth Davidson is clever and an excellent speaker. Turns out she was at the eve of poll rally last week, I was surprised at how much she was enthusiastically clapping some pretty Labour party lines of Gordon's speech.

I think Brown is very good but I still think it would appear a bit too humiliating for him to lead a smaller party in Holyrood after being UK PM. There was a piece published a short time ago about Jim Murphy in the FT, saying he's being tipped but 'doesn't want it'. I wonder if that 100 Streets tour he did was perhaps more of a publicity tour and a useful way of getting his face about? If not, then there's no-one much that stands out to even take on even Sturgeon.
scottishtv

barcode

It seems to be David is very happy.

Talking about his books: "We in Scotland" is a very good read.
Pete

A YouGov poll has came out that suggest's Ashcroft's exit poll is inaccurate with a lead for No in all but one age group.

Or possibly the YouGov poll is inaccurate.

Or both.

I suppose we'll never truly know.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

WillPS wrote:I give it until Hallowe'en when they'll all be distracted by that display of idiocy.
It seems that was a touch optimistic. Ever the statesman, our First Minister.
Alexia

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... oll-yougov

Early days, but a few sustained polls of above 50% in and around the next general election will keep the question in the forefront of any political discussions in the forming of the new parliament should Labour need to build a coalition. However unlikely the possibility that the SNP will want to prop up a Miliband administration due to their recent falling out, six months is a hugely long time in politics. SNP and Labour are closer, ideologically, than the SNP and Tories, for example.
iSon

I really wished Scotland had gone independent.

Only to reassure themselves that they had not remained part of a country that ends up thinking this kind of bollocks is helpful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29921797
Good Lord!
Alexia

Tory c*nts will be Tory c*nts.