High Street chain collapse sweepstake

nwtv2003

Alexia wrote:
AJ wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Depends how much P4U had already paid, I suppose. If they paid 40% of the arranged fee, then that's two years paid, and the name should remain for that time.
Is there any benefit to anybody in retaining the name of a collapsed firm though?
Depends how ingrained into the public mindset the name is. Does anyone actually call it the Phones4U Arena? Or is it still the MEN Arena? Down here we still call the Cardiff International Arena the CIA despite it being sponsored by Motorpoint for years. See also the Woolworth Building in New York and Wrigley Field in Chicago.
Last I checked most people I know still call the Manchester Arena, the MEN Arena, it was originally the NYNEX Arena when it first opened. I went to see Jerry Seinfeld live there in 2012 and it was inbetween branding at this point and was simply known as Manchester Arena, as it stands it's still known as the Phones 4U Arena, can't say how much longer this will last for though.
steve
Pete

http://news.sky.com/story/1357846/homeb ... -be-closed

Homebase are to close a quarter of their stores by 2018

"Part of the plan will be to right-size the store estate through scheduled lease expiries and a series of sales to other retailers.

"Once they are identified, our colleagues will be the first to be informed about any of the affected stores, and where possible we will redeploy colleagues to other stores within the Group, or encourage retailers buying our leases to offer roles within their businesses locally".
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

Given the discussions going on in a couple of other threads, should we be putting our money on a couple of plastic bag manufacturers as being the next to go under?
Alexia

Here's one for you.

Dare I say it....

Tesco? (at least, as we know it now.) Are all those Expresses, Metros sustainable?
bilky asko

Alexia wrote:Here's one for you.

Dare I say it....

Tesco? (at least, as we know it now.) Are all those Expresses, Metros sustainable?
Isn't the criticism towards its structure that it has too many Extras and not enough of the smaller stores?
AJ

Alexia wrote:Here's one for you.

Dare I say it....

I don't think there's any danger of a Tesco collapse any time soon. Disastrous results - yes, but they're still making huge profits and are still twice the size of "number 2."

More likely - they'll refocus what they do in the Extra stores and make it more of an "experience" - similar to what they're starting to roll out around larger London stores.

I'm not sure they've quite got the right strategy for the Express stores, given that there number 9 just opened in the central Reading area (along with the existing 2 Extra stores).

barcode

Tesco has a hell of alot of fingers in pies, Tesco Supermarkets are just one of them. I agree, the extra stores need to be looked at, but the new Tesco ( which just open near me) has just opened with "DECKS". Put it this way that cafe is the busiest thing in the store, and why not; £5 for all you can eat breakfast!
Mind you its no where anywhere like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23617870

* Dobbies Garden Centres
* Harris and Hoole
* Decks

Mind you two years later, although some improvements have been made the profits haven't:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17767565

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco#Brands Just take a look at some of the other draft ideas Tesco come up with: Your Beauty Salon, Does tesco still do this?
DJDave

To be fair our local Tesco has just been done up and it looks great. Bakery has not moved to the front and Decks is the only cafe, but has its own outside entrance too. The clothing area does look great for a supermarket/any clothing store, I have heard bad reviews on Decks. Has anybody else heard anything good bad etc?
Andrew

My local Homebase has just started its closing down sale in the last few days, with blanket 10/20/25% off deductions off advertised prices in each department, woolworths style, and shelves being stripped bare and then loaded up with random tat found in the back room to fill the space. Display models of bathrooms etc also are being sold off.

As is usual in these situations, the store is heaving with people in the queue piled high with goods. Particularly noticeable with this closure is that it is occurring in the middle of the Christmas trading period, so the nice Christmas display of trees and lights that was only set up probably a month ago, is now decimated like it was Christmas Eve.
WillPS

Andrew wrote:My local Homebase has just started its closing down sale in the last few days, with blanket 10/20/25% off deductions off advertised prices in each department, woolworths style, and shelves being stripped bare and then loaded up with random tat found in the back room to fill the space. Display models of bathrooms etc also are being sold off.

As is usual in these situations, the store is heaving with people in the queue piled high with goods. Particularly noticeable with this closure is that it is occurring in the middle of the Christmas trading period, so the nice Christmas display of trees and lights that was only set up probably a month ago, is now decimated like it was Christmas Eve.
People are such idiots. It's not a massive administrative error which has lead to the Christmas stuff going into a store which is set to close; obviously the prices are inflated such that they'll make a profit even with 25-50% off; in fact that'll probably be a nationwide offer next week (to match the offer Tesco do every year).

The words 'OUTLET', 'CLEARANCE' or 'SALE' (particularly if prefixed by 'CLOSING DOWN') seem to illicit a response in people which is massively disproportionate to the actual discounts being offered. The whole thing is best illustrated by Next, who must make most of their money in the 3 or 4 sales they run every year, always starting at ridiculous o'clock (including on Boxing Day which must be lovely for their staff), with prices that are blatently inflated to the point they're still making a ridiculous amount when it is inevitably sold off at half price.
Andrew

I don't know if the issue was that customers have bought all the Christmas stuff, or if limited stock was only delivered to the store in the first place.

Does look a bit sad when they've done a Santa's grotto style area with lights and snow scenes, and now in the middle of it all there are some random dining tables and plastic storage boxes.