The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

martindtanderson

Just thought I'd share this, and apologies if it has been mentioned previously.

Fontsmith were responsible for the Mary Ann font for Sainsbury's, and its a modification of their FS Lola font.
http://www.fontsmith.com/case-studies/sainsbury-s

Finn

Is the Scan As You Shop scheme being re-rolled out?

I noticed this week that Tesco Extra Stretford (which only opened in November 2012) has now had this added.
Pete

There seems to be a big push for it at the moment. It's been installed in two extras in Dundee. Although it's interesting to note how despite being a student heavy tesco, the ones in riverside are less used. Possibly because of the store geography meaning you don't actually pass them as you enter the store and have to deliberately walk an extra ten feet or so forward.

Silly placement IMO as it coincided with the removal of the silly security barriers that everyone used to crash into as they entered the store. I'd draw a diagram but cba.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Neil DG wrote:Is the Scan As You Shop scheme being re-rolled out?

I noticed this week that Tesco Extra Stretford (which only opened in November 2012) has now had this added.
Definitely. Nottingham Top Valley extra had them added in July, Sheffield is having them added now.
nodnirG kraM wrote:Draw it.

I'll tell you about my Sainsbury's "Fast Lane" scan as you shop experience from Friday if you do.
With the ancient Safeway-era hardware that looks like a cross between the handset of an old BT phone and an early brick mobile? I hope you took pictures!!
Pete

Here is the shockingly shoddy diagram what I gone and done.

Right, so if you imagine as you walk into the shop you would generally follow the pink line, directly into the first seasonal aisle. Therefore you don't actually PASS the scan as you shop terminals.

The other tesco, where you don't have to turn left and walk straight into the first aisle, has the scanners on your right as you enter the shop.

Hope that makes sense.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

Received a letter from Sainsbury's about changes to Nectar in-store from 11th April 2015.

1 point per £1 can be collected. (Changes from 2 points per £1)
Extra points for bag reuse axed.
More bonus point promotions including a month long 10x point promotion on fuel purchases.
Bigger double up promotions at Christmas.
No change to the value of points.

Other Nectar partners will continue to offer 2 points per £1.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago

Martin Phillp wrote: 1 point per £1 can be collected. (Changes from 2 points per £1)
You've ruined my day.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:Received a letter from Sainsbury's about changes to Nectar in-store from 11th April 2015.

1 point per £1 can be collected. (Changes from 2 points per £1)
More bonus point promotions including a month long 10x point promotion on fuel purchases.
Bigger double up promotions at Christmas.
No change to the value of points.

Other Nectar partners will continue to offer 2 points per £1.
Bigger in what way? Double can only ever be double; and that'll only be as good as what we have now.

Another poor decision from JS I think.
AJ

WillPS wrote:Another poor decision from JS I think.
Agreed. If my maths is right, points are now worth 0.5p? Worse value than Tesco Clubcard. They seem to be focussing on fuel. Coupled with the scrapping of the eco-points for reusing carrier bags, it doesn't give out a particularly good green message does it?
thegeek

AJ wrote:Coupled with the scrapping of the eco-points for reusing carrier bags, it doesn't give out a particularly good green message does it?
I've read elsewhere that they're going to start charging for bags - no point in having a carrot when you've got a stick.

This article is more true now than before.
Critique

Isn't that more to do with the law changing rather than a decision Sainsbury's have made themselves? Wales and Northern Ireland already have a law passed that makes big businesses charge for carrier bags, and I thought England and Scotland were introducing this law at some point over the next year or so?