High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

cwathen wrote:even if it's longer contracts with the networks then that doesn't seem to make any difference either as EE have breached their contract by pulling out of Phones 4U a year early
Not true. EE informed phones4u that they would not be renewing their contract - they didn't renege on the existing one. Vodafone did the same - Vodafone products were still on sale right up to their last trading day.

With EE's decision, the business instantly became insolvent because there would be no hope that their debt could be adequately serviced with 2 contracts which were in a run-off period; nor could the business hope to diversify suitably within that timeframe.

Frankly, I don't know why EE took so long to come to that decision. If the stores were effectively only carrying their products (plus an MVNO also on EE's network) then the store is only competition for their own operation.

I'm not sure why you feel sorry for them. It strikes me as pretty obvious that it's a case of misplaced corporate arrogance; the company did not work hard to keep the networks on-side and let them slip away expecting them to come back.
AJ

One of the Phones4U stores in Reading has been converted to an EE store. Which doesn't make any sense, seeing as there are now 3 of the bloody things within spitting distance of each other.

AJ

nodnirG kraM wrote:That was a quick refit!! How does it look?
Brighton has had 3 EE stores since "Retail Transformation" in October 2012 - 2 were T-Mobile and one was Orange. But there were also 2 Phones4Us - so presumably there are now 5 EE branches ;)
The new store opened yesterday I think. It all looks very bodged - a lick of turquoise paint inside, but all the fixtures are the same, and a very dodgy looking sign above the door which looks like it's been made out of 6 or 7 bits of MDF cobbled together.
madmusician

The phones4u store in Wells has also opened as an EE store already. Incidentally, next to the town's Vodafone store. I hadn't ever been inside it when it was phones4u, so can't comment on the fittings too closely, but the whole store looks pretty 'on-brand', painted in the EE blue and grey. There was even a lady in there playing with an iPhone when I walked past (and anyone who knows quite how quiet Wells is will appreciate what an achievement that was!!).
AJ

nodnirG kraM wrote:This sounds like a MetroSnap occasion.
MetroSnap you say...?

Desperately tried not to look suspect when I snapped this in my Vodafone uniform! haha
thegeek

Thank you for also capturing a new-ish BHS sign; and in reflection a two-generations ago M&S sign and a 'Three.' sign.

What do you mean this isn't the High Street Rebrand thread?
all new Phil

Anyone heard what the deal is with the Phones4U arena in Manchester? Website is still very much alive, and all the signage seems to still be up I think. I imagine its run by someone else and Phones 4U paid to attach their name to it, so it'll be interesting to see how long it remains.

Could imagine EE taking it on, or maybe even someone like Sky given their involvement in The O2.
Jake

all new Phil wrote:Anyone heard what the deal is with the Phones4U arena in Manchester? Website is still very much alive, and all the signage seems to still be up I think. I imagine its run by someone else and Phones 4U paid to attach their name to it, so it'll be interesting to see how long it remains.

Could imagine EE taking it on, or maybe even someone like Sky given their involvement in The O2.
The official statement is as follows:
We would like to reassure concertgoers that the future of the mobile phone retailer Phones 4u will have no impact on forthcoming shows.

The arena will continue to be managed and operated by SMG Europe, as it has very successfully for the last 20 years.

Our name will remain Phones 4u Arena for the forseeable future and any tickets that have already been issued for events taking place here will remain valid.

Issued: 9am, Monday 15 September.
It was announced last year as a 5 year deal, but that of course seems very unlikely now. It did spend some time as simply 'Manchester Arena' between the MEN and P4U deals.
JAS84

Depends how much P4U had already paid, I suppose. If they paid 40% of the arranged fee, then that's two years paid, and the name should remain for that time.
Philip

thegeek wrote:Thank you for also capturing a new-ish BHS sign; and in reflection a two-generations ago M&S sign and a 'Three.' sign.

What do you mean this isn't the High Street Rebrand thread?
That Marks & Spencer logo still pops up from time to time, for example on their greeting card envelopes and clothes hangers. Probably because they use a similar logo now just in a different font (but mainly use the 'Your M&S' one these days).
AJ

JAS84 wrote:Depends how much P4U had already paid, I suppose. If they paid 40% of the arranged fee, then that's two years paid, and the name should remain for that time.
Is there any benefit to anybody in retaining the name of a collapsed firm though?