iOS 8/iPhone 6/Apple Watch

Critique

It's that time of the year again!

So, all of the things listed in the title are now a reality, with iOS 8 the first available, as it was released around two hours ago.

iOS 8 is a reasonably sized update, bringing with it things like like Health, which is an app where it puts various health data from other apps together as a sort of hub. They're also adding widgets after years of not having them, allowing you to change your keyboard (SwiftKey here I come) and they've added a lot of stuff to iMessage, the Photos app and so on. It seems like there's less new stuff this year but it might just be that last year the whole UI changed so it seems like less. There are lots of improvements though, the most noticeable so far being that I asked my iPad to download it about half an hour ago, expecting it to take several years like it has done in the past on the day of Apple releasing the next OS level, but it has actually took all of ten minutes to download.

iPhone 6 has a bigger screen, and iPhone 6+ has an ever bigger screen. They have a new design:

And also NFC (allowing contactless payments in the form of 'Apple Pay', which is some new secure payment system) and better processors and camera sensors.

Apple Watch meanwhile is a new thing that has a touch screen but then primarily uses the twisty knob that's often found on the side of the watch (apparently called the crown) to control the UI. It works with your iPhone (which it'll need for full functionality) and can run a few apps (although your not going to reading Twitter on it from the looks of things!). They're making an 18-carat gold version of it for those with money to waste too. Here's a photo of the non-gold version:

I wasn't too big a fan of the iPhone 6's looks at first, but they have grown on me and I think I might get one when the price drops a bit. I am fully aware I could get an Android phone for (probably) less and in some scenarios better specs (the one+one for example), but I still find Android to be a fragmented experience - the HTC Sense UI on my One S is nice to look at and most of the stock apps follow the same style, but then almost all of the apps from Google Play (including the Google ones) follow the stock Android UI styling for the most part. The issue here is that the most popular phones don't use stock android UI, although more are beginning to vaguely resemble it.

Another problem Android has is that devices seem to lose support from manufacturers very quickly, with software updates stopping. I believe manufacturers are improving on this but on the most part it isn't good - my One S was the phone just below top-of-the-range when it came out and whilst it did get software updates, it took a while for HTC to release them, and then in turn a while for O2 to chuck all their bloatware on it and get it out. However, after one big-ish update it stopped receiving updates and so I am still on Android 4.1 when the latest version is 4.4.4. Compare this to my iPad 2 which started out with iOS 4.3 and is now on iOS 8 FOUR years on and it looks pretty poor on Android (and phone manufacturer)'s part.

As for the Apple Watch - I'm tempted. Until it comes out though it'd be silly to make a decision as most of the stuff we have on it is Apple marketing guff, so it remains to be seen if the 'digital crown' actually is good or not. Saying that, they do appear to be talking sense.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: Added some photos to save googling if you don't know what the new devices look like - they're on the large side as they were some of the only ones I could find from Google images that were the actual device, with most of the photos mockups or leaked prototypes etc.
martindtanderson

Yawn...
Critique

martindtanderson wrote:Yawn...
Sorry forgot to add...

Window Phone 8 is a thing and despite the fact it's been out for a while I'm sure it'll catch on soon and make every other phone obsolete as it is the best thing on the market EVER. Meanwhile Windows 8 continues to get rave reviews, as customers thank it for forcing a UI designed for touch on desktop users.

Is that better?
WillPS

I like it but there is no fucking way I'm paying ~£600 for a phone.
Alexia

I like it but I don't need half the things it does. Plus I've already got a MotoG 4G.
woah

Nothing really exciting with the new iPhone - it now same screen size as all the higher end Android/Windows Phone handsets have had in recent years. The iPhone 6 has a near enough 720p screen, which is probably what you'd expect about 2/3 years ago on higher end Android/Windows Phone handsets, almost all of the features are nothing new and both it and the Plus are very expensive, as iPhones always are.

That said, I do get the appeal of the iOS ecosystem - as people say, it just works - partly because it only needs to work well on a small range of hardware so it's much easier to test, and partly because it is intuitive and well designed.

That's why I think Android would do well to restrict customisation by manufacturers to a minimum so that the stock Android interface is standard on all phones - I would say stock Android is clean and easy to use, certainly compared to some of the stuff that Samsung/HTC and the likes chuck on top of Android. As well as that, I think they should have strict minimum requirements for hardware, so that all Android devices run smoothly. That would then bring (to a degree) the benefits that iOS has over Android - stability, ease of use and speed.

I think Android has a bad reputation because often, people have either bought a cheapo first smartphone and found Android to A) have a horrible interface on top that isn't easy to use and B) runs slowly, and people then decide to upgrade to an iPhone which works fine - therefore their opinion is iPhones are great and Android phones are crap.
Alexia

woah wrote: That's why I think Android would do well to restrict customisation by manufacturers to a minimum so that the stock Android interface is standard on all phones - I would say stock Android is clean and easy to use, certainly compared to some of the stuff that Samsung/HTC and the likes chuck on top of Android.
Android is open source, so that won't happen in theory.

In practice however, the Nexus range is there for that very reason, and the possibily forthcoming Android Silver (http://www.androidcentral.com/android-silver) project could help to go someway to remedying the manufacturer add-ons.
Critique

I've only got one iOS device and it is my iPad 2 and even that seems to have perked up a bit since the update - animations are smoother than they were before, but maybe they're less jerky because I had to delete Home Alone off my iPad for the privilege of downloading iOS 8? Meanwhile, I swear the keyboard has actually gotten smaller on the iPad - I'm used to predictive text on my Android and if it works I'll be pleased as my Android one just suggests typos I've made once but it's since added to the dictionary.

I haven't got any apps installed which support widgets in the notification pane but hopefully BBC News etc. will update to incorporate them soon. I notice they've ditched the 'missed' tab in notification centre which was completely pointless.
martindtanderson

Critique wrote:
martindtanderson wrote:Yawn...
Sorry forgot to add...

Window Phone 8 is a thing and despite the fact it's been out for a while I'm sure it'll catch on soon and make every other phone obsolete as it is the best thing on the market EVER. Meanwhile Windows 8 continues to get rave reviews, as customers thank it for forcing a UI designed for touch on desktop users.

Is that better?
LOL. Apple has finally accepted that some people want larger phones, and NFC is a thing now for them (even if it is restricted to an Apple payment system).

Other than those two things, the new iPhones offer little.

The Apple Watch actually looks like a watch you may find in a jewellery store I guess, which may help adoption for those who like wearing the things. My Mum likes the look of the rose gold one, but I doubt she would care about the functionality of it. She recently moved from the iPhone to a Galaxy S4 (which she regrets but needed a larger screen) so come next year I am sure she will go back, and consider the iPhone 6 Plus. My Dad also wants the larger 6 Plus.

My brother however is annoyed there is no original 3.7" or 4" version of the iPhone 6, but will be picking up the 6 on Friday to replace his ageing 4S.

I will stick with my Lumia 1020 in the mean time, and my little Moto G as a WiFi only device
Philip

nodnirG kraM wrote:After deleting 5GB of photos, my phone is finally updating. Although it has been sitting on "Preparing Update" for a good half hour. So I'll watch the Bake Off for a bit.
Will attempt it on the iPad tomorrow.
If you connect your device to your computer and update via iTunes you don't have to delete space on your iPhone or iPad, that's what I did yesterday. Just make sure you have enough space for the back up and the software itself which is a few GB in size.

You can't really complain about this year's Apple event. Solid updates to the iPhone, including new screen sizes, and a promising new Apple Pay system which looks like it might be the first of its kind to, you know, actually take off. If you look at the competition, Samsung haven't had any particularly new ideas recently either, unless you count the Galaxy Note Edge. Windows Phone 8.1 has been catching up with iOS and Android just as Apple has been catching up with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. They provide a brand new product in the form of the Apple Watch and still people say Apple can't innovate. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

I think John Gruber put it best with his conclusion on the new iPhones.
If there’s a certain flatness to this review, a lack of enthusiasm, it’s not intentional. Apple keeps repeating that the iPhones 6 are “better in every way”, and as far as I can tell that really is the case. Better fit and finish, better feel in hand, better display quality, faster CPU and GPU performance, better still photos, better video, better battery life, faster Wi-Fi and LTE networking speeds. I don’t know what more we could ask of Apple from a year-over-year improvement over the iPhone 5S, which remains an astounding device. And I’ve barely mentioned iOS 8, which I think is an improvement over iOS 7 in nearly every regard, with a strong focus on improved utility and no unnecessary gimmickry.

The most amazing thing about the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is how utterly un-amazing it now seems to see Apple pull off this level of year-over-year improvement year after year after year.
http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/the_iphones_6
madmusician

Sad (although I knew it was coming) that my trusty iPhone 4 is now deprecated, what with iOS 8 only running on the 4S and upwards. It's still in pretty good nick, so I'm not looking to replace it yet, although the iPhone 6 is oh-so-tempting.