TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

Pete

What did Alistair Stewart have to say then? I'd bother looking myself but frankly I've just had to suffer eight pages of the BBC rota thread and I refuse to go into any others.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

Pete wrote:What did Alistair Stewart have to say then? I'd bother looking myself but frankly I've just had to suffer eight pages of the BBC rota thread and I refuse to go into any others.
https://twitter.com/alstewitn/status/505513613504049152

https://twitter.com/alstewitn/status/505812628703555584
DTV

Critique wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:Hopefully the end of the school holidays in most of the UK will stop these kids from posting as much.
BBC News Fix doesn't stop for or after holidays.
Those rotas don't log themselves!
It's not just rotas though, I've noticed that the News Channel Presentation thread has just become BBC News Fix giving us updates on the schedule when it deviates from the norm, much like an irritating EPG, and a few members detailing every camera movement in Studio E.

The rota threads have moved from banal discussion of who's on - to creepy, obsessive and sometimes speculative logs of who has or maybe or might present something. Now that the actual topics for discussion are finding out about it and complaining - is that bullying? harassment? I don't know, but I expect one of the rota threads will be used one day as part of some Police Investigation.

A lot of the other discussion threads have had the floodgates opened to an onslaught of new members, of which the majority are irritating and banal, and destroy the scale of discussion down from its once intended purpose - where one person can place something interesting say information about a new programme and it'll be ignored but 3 posts down someone can post a picture of a correspondent in Berlin but the aston says Paris and get 6 pages of discussion out of it.

Then there's the gallery which has become a coal mine of poor quality mocks slapped together in 3 minutes, although there are occasionally gems such as the Sky 1 Tombstone or the Central Cake recreation. The Gallery is also full of little catfights where one of the members posts a valid criticism of one persons mock only for the one who was criticised, often a new member, to go onto their criticisers mocks and write invalid, obscure criticisms about it.

The requests threads which are often hijacked by other members - the BBC News Theme Index is now just people asking for full packages to BBC Regional News Programmes (actually it's the same members over and over again) without contributing to the thread - which was the original purpose of it.

Although there is some interesting discussion on TVF still I think there has been a decline of it in the last year. But as always I look forward to myan's next odd theory about which side presenters turn to on DtLs or the type of mouse and keyboard different presenters use or even his ideas about the type of drinking vessel used.
barcode

In some respect some people are having rose tinted glasses when it comes to this forum of poor quality in some of the thread.

Saying that I do think we have dug alot deeper than normal. I've notice a number of people no longer post on the forum who actually postage about TV presentation ete.

The replacements well .... are as said above are crap about talking about crappy mocks and crappy posts about people who present programmes, who may or may not have an affair and got pregnant and now need time off...

No one is making a personnel attack agiast the mod or the Asa, it more of the fact, I think there stuck in the middle of balance act.
PresIdents

I think it's time for TV Forum to have a name change - seeing as most discussions nowadays don't have anything to do with television presentation.

It is, however, nice to see some 'Recently Warned' tags being given to the ones that deserve them.
TopCat
Banned for one week

Yeah, Catfacts, you're gone buddy. No-one upsets Alastair Stewart.
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post930815#post-930815
barcode

There heading in the right direction.
Critique

barcode wrote:In some respect some people are having rose tinted glasses when it comes to this forum of poor quality in some of the thread.

Saying that I do think we have dug alot deeper than normal. I've notice a number of people no longer post on the forum who actually postage about TV presentation ete.

The replacements well .... are as said above are crap about talking about crappy mocks and crappy posts about people who present programmes, who may or may not have an affair and got pregnant and now need time off...

No one is making a personnel attack agiast the mod or the Asa, it more of the fact, I think there stuck in the middle of balance act.
In the sticky about rules on rota discussion there is mention of how 'presenter discussion has been a part of this site since the very first day' and a link to a thread from day one about presenters. However, the difference between then and now is that whilst there are mentions of shifts, the thread is *not* about rotas. On top of this, there are still weird comments about the presenters, like 'he has a funny haircut' and speculation as to whether a presenter enjoys themselves or not. Ultimately, presenter talk like that shows itself to be weird from day one, and seeing as it is still weird, you'd think that it shows the need to be rid of it, along with rota discussion.

Of course, presenter talk when relevant can still be acceptable, and it'd be pretty hard to never mention a presenter again but most of the time it's not relevant and just weird comments. An example of a place when presenter talk is acceptable could be during yesterday's 'Your Money' on the NC when the presenter was pretty poor indeed, stumbling his way through. He didn't live up to the usual standard of BBC News presenters, and therefore there is a question in why he presented it when he didn't seem to be 'ready' to do so. However, the way things currently are means that he was completely slated, and most people in the thread reading it probably thought the appropriate response as to why he presented would have been something like 'Business presenter Ben Thompson only has a 40 hr contract so he couldn't appear, whilst Alice Baxter was on a two week holiday to Fungerola, therefore this presenter was rota'd in'.
Pete

TopCat wrote:
Yeah, Catfacts, you're gone buddy. No-one upsets Alastair Stewart.
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post930815#post-930815
lol
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Bail

I'm sure serious news anchors have far better things to be doing really...
barcode

What is the best way forward for the forum? The process of pulling in the reins must be easy, as it been know people only complain when there care enough, and its clear many still do and want to make sure such forums are not lost to Facebook etc.

Maybe we need to look at some of the ideas throw into the ring a while back: such as stopping new members posting new threads in the mocks until 50 pages. Each member can only have one request thread in request forum and there need to update and change it etc... Rota needs to be cut back,