Sky or Virgin Media?

.--. .---

Pete wrote:The newer updates have improved padding however I think the difference is that virgin's epg still isn't dynamic.

TiVo has improved greatly since it first came out, its far faster and better designed for the British way of doing things. The initial release was a bit like mouseboy had coded it "you're wrong, american is better".

The other nice thing with TiVo is it has fab little connected apps, which given how poor Virgin's interactivity used to be from the Telewest / NTL days was a real treat.

Phone is expensive though, and if I didn't have poor mobile reception I'd dump it. You can get some good deals if you argue with retentions but they're not as big pushovers as they used to be sadly.

Broadband keeps getting faster and faster. I paid for 10meg originally in 2007 and it's now 50mb. I could get 150 if I wanted I believe. The only issue is they seem to throttle youtube a bit during 6-8pm but otherwise the broadband is magnificent.

Dynamic, that's the word I was trying to think of thanks. I remember the good days of cable, when they were the best of Sky plus cable exclusive channels. I think it was a bad move selling the channels they did have espcially to Sky. There is still nothing to stop them launching a cable only and get deals like the Sky/HBO deal. If I went back to cable I would always have the spat between Sky and Virgin at the back of my mind as they could pull their basic channels again.

I hear (but not used) TiVo isn't as user friendly as Sky+ but having a dedicated 10mg connection for it does sound great. I first had cable when it went digital and the service was terrible for not just weeks but months on end, picture break up no picture, bad stuff, it seems like any new stuff has similar problems with cable but maybe not as bad as that.

PJ
iSon

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I must admit I don't tend to watch a lot of TV and so long as the other half has the movie channels then we're laughing. The only thing I've watched on Sky Atlantic has been The Newsroom but I'm sure I wouldn't be upset at having to watch this via "other methods" - Now TV, of course!

When I moved into the property I'm in at the moment, I was originally going to go with Virgin - especially as they chuck an extra box into their package but there were issues with digging up the road and driveway which the landlord wasn't overly keen on so went with the Sky option especially as there was already a communal dish in place.

Also, on reviewing the most recent inspection of the property, it doesn't appear there's a BT line (not surprising) and having spoken to Sky it seems this complicates the move process as they need to set up a new BT line first, then get Sky Talk and Broadband added on. I know this isn't the greatest of heartaches, but being an impatient sod I'm not sure I can be at the mercy of BT when I know Virgin can get everything installed without any issues.

So to be honest, this has helped make the decision for me and I will probably go with Virgin. I can't deny there are some aspects of the Sky+ system that I will miss and as Phil says - it just works but I have previously been impressed with the Tivo service and what it can actually do. I guess I'll just have to get used to the slightly slower system compared to Sky+.
Good Lord!
cwathen

no existing phone line can be a bigger headache than you think... when I moved it took 6 weeks for openreach to install one.
Alexia

Why do you need a phone line in today's day and age? Mobile deals and Skype are making the landline obselete.
Pete

Shit reception indoors
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

Alexia wrote:Why do you need a phone line in today's day and age? Mobile deals and Skype are making the landline obselete.
I think we had this conversation a year or so ago, and not much has changed. Mobile broadband is brilliant for people on the move, but not as a primary connection. Assuming you have decent reception - which is assuming a lot given home many people have crap mobile signal indoors - there are issues with latency which can make it slow.

Even given a perfect mobile connection, heavy use of it is prohibitively expensive as the infrastructure to deliver it on a large scale isn't there and so it must be priced to limit use.

Until you can reliably pull hundreds of gigabytes a month at high speed through such a connection at a reasonable price, fixed-line broadband won't be going anywhere.
Critique

Indeed, around where I live mobile signal is generally quite bad, with internet usually a GPRS/EDGE affair and phone signal itself only 1-2 bars - a landline is quite important for me as I like to be able to hear the other person on the end of the phone when I'm at home!
Alexia

I'm not on about mobile broadband. You do not need a phone line to have Virgin Media broadband through a cable. You can then use your mobile in conjunction with a VoIP service like Skype for other phonecall necessities. Just a thought. I haven't had a landline for the past 6 years. Not really missed it.
Pete

I've never been impressed with a lot of the VOIP ones either. I would use it to talk to people on holiday when they had wifi and the latency and audio quality were very poor.

Luckily that shouldn't be an issue much longer with the abolition of roaming charges within the EU coming very soon. I believe EE already count EU roaming as coming out of your normal minutes / messages and 3 have gone even further.

Vodafone meanwhile informed me how they're hiking the price of everything else to pay for it. Stay classy.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
.--. .---

I don't get the Vonnage advert, saying if you can't get mobile reception indoors to use their services, but to use them you need broadband and WiFi and surely mot people who have broadband have a landland which is in 99% of calls is crystal clear so therefore no need for Vonnage.

PJ
Alexia

.--. .--- wrote:I don't get the Vonnage advert, saying if you can't get mobile reception indoors to use their services, but to use them you need broadband and WiFi and surely mot people who have broadband have a landland which is in 99% of calls is crystal clear so therefore no need for Vonnage.

PJ
It's all about costs and price points - Vonage try to undercut your domestic telephony operator by offering packages which enable you to do stuff relatively cheaply which would be hideously expensive on BT. If for example you need to make a lot of international calls Vonage offer flat fee services.