High Street chain collapse sweepstake

robschneider

DFS must be a hot contender, given they practically run on credit?
cwathen

robschneider wrote:DFS must be a hot contender, given they practically run on credit?
I can't see it actually. DFS use third party providers for their credit, they don't actually lend the money themselves. Therefore they get paid straight away by the finance company, not in the fullness of time as the credit is repaid. A customer who defaults on the credit agreement also doesn't affect them as they have still been paid - it's the finance company's problem, not theirs.

Being also that they seem to have a lead time of several weeks on pretty much everything, it would appear that they don't actually order the item themselves until the customer has already bought it, so they don't have the risk of having capital tied up in stock they can't sell either.

All in all, seems like a pretty solid business to me.
Alexia

cwathen wrote:Being also that they seem to have a lead time of several weeks on pretty much everything, it would appear that they don't actually order the item themselves until the customer has already bought it, so they don't have the risk of having capital tied up in stock they can't sell either..
This. Is what I didn't realise.
barcode

Has anyone else notice how many High Street McDonalds are closing down?
all new Phil

I haven't noticed any.
Philip

barcode wrote:Has anyone else notice how many High Street McDonalds are closing down?
That started around a decade ago now.
wells

barcode wrote:Has anyone else notice how many High Street McDonalds are closing down?
The only one I've known to close was in Bromsgrove about 6 or so years ago. Also the town centre one in Redditch moved over 10 years ago, but this was due to them acquiring a new unit in the extended shopping centre. It's Burger King that seemed to disappear around here.

The Bromsgrove one is now one of Bromsgrove's two YMCA Charity shops, the other being on a retail park just outside the centre.

You'll notice the old McDonalds logo is still on the doors if you look closely.
Critique

wells wrote:
The only one I've known to close was in Bromsgrove about 6 or so years ago. Also the town centre one in Redditch moved over 10 years ago, but this was due to them acquiring a new unit in the extended shopping centre. It's Burger King that seemed to disappear around here.

The Bromsgrove one is now one of Bromsgrove's two YMCA Charity shops, the other being on a retail park just outside the centre.

We had some very peculiar goings on surrounding a new YMCA charity shop that was supposed to open here a few years ago. I can't find any traces of the opening online but I think they had someone from BBC Radio Suffolk coming in to do the grand opening, which was in some (quite large) empty unit, right on the high street. If memory serves me correctly, a lot was made about the grand opening, and there was a fair bit of publicity, but within about a month it had gone with no trace.
Alexia

nodnirG kraM wrote:There were 2 Burger Kings in this town a decade ago. Now there are none. I am not upset.
I miss Great British Burger.
Pete

wells wrote:Image

The old McDonalds "world's heaviest door" they used to have everywhere. Most of which have been replaced by automatic sliders now.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Whataday

Alexia wrote:
nodnirG kraM wrote:There were 2 Burger Kings in this town a decade ago. Now there are none. I am not upset.
I miss Great British Burger.
Food wise, they were almost identical to Wimpy. The burgers were from the same supplier.