The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Finn

thegeek wrote:I've also not seen any of Christmassy paper hats being added to Tesco store signs yet this year. Have I just been at the wrong stores or are they not doing it this year?
Tesco Extra Stretford (Manchester) has one again this year. Last year it had it virtually from when it opened (late November).
WillPS

martindtanderson wrote:Image
Yes; seems they're still using the slab font for signage. I don't know if that's because they haven't finalised signage for the current brand or what.

It's the same with the branch on Sheffield High Street that opens in 4½ hours.
thegeek

Neil DG wrote:
thegeek wrote:I've also not seen any of Christmassy paper hats being added to Tesco store signs yet this year. Have I just been at the wrong stores or are they not doing it this year?
Tesco Extra Stretford (Manchester) has one again this year. Last year it had it virtually from when it opened (late November).
I spoke too soon - my local store now has its hat.

I suppose it must take a while to open up all those giant neon crackers. Presumably they've got a large pile of giant neon bad jokes to go with them too.
Pete

thegeek wrote:giant neon bad jokes
you mean TV Forum?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Alexia

Tescos Llandaf / Heath / Gabalfa (whatever it's called this week) has a hat, but it's rather annoyingly not sat on the head of the O naturally, it's off to one side. This perturbs me.
Nick Harvey
God

Alexia wrote:Tescos Llandaff / Heath / Gabalfa
The big one on Western Avenue, or the smaller one on Manor Way?
Alexia

Nick Harvey wrote:
Alexia wrote:Tescos Llandaff / Heath / Gabalfa
The big one on Western Avenue, or the smaller one on Manor Way?
Big ugly white bastard on Western Avenue.
Nick Harvey
God

Are you allowed to say 'white' any more?
Alexia

Nick Harvey wrote:Are you allowed to say 'white' any more?
It IS white.

Critique

The East of England Co-operative Society has continued with the rebrand it started sometime last year, and it's actually quite nice. Gone is the ridiculously long name and some meh-ish branding, and in is 'East of England Co-op' instead and much nicer branding.

Old logo:

New logo:

The website has also received a facelift, and really shows off the much nicer brand that they now have. The serif font works really well and the bright green looks surprisingly nice too. Lots of noise has also been made recently about things like the 'Sourced Locally' range, which is food that is, erm, sourced locally, and they appear to be being much bolder in both their branding and what they do. This isn't the kind of thing we were seeing two or three years ago. However, none of the stores carry the new logo or branding, although they did make some new posters with the logo on (with staff in the old uniform).

This particular society also offers Pharmacies, some odd 'Healthy Living/Mobility Centres' (of which there are two), opticians (of which there are four), and funeral care (44 centres), which I think does very well.

How many Co-op societies are left? Is it just Scotmid and the East of England Co-operative Society that have kept their own brands etc? And are the same posters advertising the current promotions used everywhere, or here in the East do they just use ones that fit in with the national 'the Co-operative' brand but don't have any logos on to link them to a particular group?
james2001

I'm pretty sure the Lincolnshire co-op still uses the pre-2008 logo. Certainly it's still up on all of their stores I saw when I was in Lincs last month.