Another High Street Rebrand

JAS84

That's because the Christmas catalogue probably launched in August, which is prior to that logo's introduction. Had they not gone into administration, the new logo probably would've been on the next one.
Alexia

nodnirG kraM wrote:Is that management buy out Wellworths place still in business?
No, it folded last August, having had to change its name to Wellchester after Shop Direct protested.

Not before I popped in to get my commemorative mug, mind you.
wells

Alexia wrote:
nodnirG kraM wrote:Is that management buy out Wellworths place still in business?
No, it folded last August, having had to change its name to Wellchester after Shop Direct protested.

Not before I popped in to get my commemorative mug, mind you.
Don't forget there was also a small chain that rose from the ashes of Woolworths called Alworths. Was nice to visit one and relive Woolworths, it didn't fare much better than Wellworths though most of them became £-Stretchers I recall.

I think of Poundland and Wilkinson as the modern equivalents of Woolworths as you feel no town is complete with them.
Alexia

wells wrote:I think of Poundland and Wilkinson as the modern equivalents of Woolworths as you feel no town is complete with them.
And Home Bargains and B&M Bargains.... however they should only be ventured into when needing cheap cup-a-soups.
WillPS

Alexia wrote:
wells wrote:I think of Poundland and Wilkinson as the modern equivalents of Woolworths as you feel no town is complete with them.
And Home Bargains and B&M Bargains.... however they should only be ventured into when needing cheap cup-a-soups.
They're not the same thing at all - those are food & home discounters whereas Woolworths was a mainstream variety store.

Wilkinson has successfully expanded in many of the areas Woolies used to thrive in, but they've not particularly moved in to any of the ranges which Woolies covered and they didn't (entertainment, clothing).
wells

WillPS wrote:
Alexia wrote: Wilkinson has successfully expanded in many of the areas Woolies used to thrive in, but they've not particularly moved in to any of the ranges which Woolies covered and they didn't (entertainment, clothing).
They are doing the Lottery and a few magazines now.

To be fair B&M I regard B&M as the cheaper feeling version of Wilkos.
WillPS

wells wrote:
WillPS wrote:
Alexia wrote: Wilkinson has successfully expanded in many of the areas Woolies used to thrive in, but they've not particularly moved in to any of the ranges which Woolies covered and they didn't (entertainment, clothing).
They are doing the Lottery and a few magazines now.

To be fair B&M I regard B&M as the cheaper feeling version of Wilkos.
They've always had them in some locations I think, but yes they appear to do it across the chain now.
JAS84

I'm not so sure Wilko is doing so well at all. You see, the bosses are such cheapskates that the logo peels off the blouses and shirts the shop staff wear! Not exactly a good way to promote a more upmarket image, is it? If they're doing well, they should be able to afford better quality uniforms.
woah

JAS84 wrote:I'm not so sure Wilko is doing so well at all. You see, the bosses are such cheapskates that the logo peels off the blouses and shirts the shop staff wear! Not exactly a good way to promote a more upmarket image, is it? If they're doing well, they should be able to afford better quality uniforms.
Ah yes, the condition of some staff uniform is a great way of judging if a business is doing well - and by the way, that's not a problem in any of the stores round here. Profits have dropped over the past 2 years or so but they still made £27.5 million in the past year, I think they'll be perfectly fine.
Whataday

WillPS wrote:In any case, it's nicer than the horrid thing the current online operation uses
Yes, why on earth would you buy a brand to cash in on nostalgia and then change it?
Philip

Not high street, but the information superhighway, to use an old phrase.

It looks as though they've tried to make it similar to the new Office logo, but it just looks weird as a result. The logo doesn't seemed to have changed on the UK site for me. I do however like these searchlight designs:

Image Image

More here. http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blogs/b/ ... fresh.aspx