Yet another Morrisons thread

all new Phil

I don't think Morrisons own it any more. Haven't got a clue why they ever did, unless it was sold at such a low price that it was worth buying it with no real plans to use it. Last time I went, about a year or so back, the Frontierland site was sat there looking empty and unloved. Kind of sums up the whole of Morecambe really.
Martin

Square Eyes wrote:Is there a Morrisons anywhere in the country where they still have the revolutionary swivelling banana hanging cage in use ?
Morrisons Stevenston still does.

Never once seen a member of staff behind the cage mind you. They appear to be anticipating a lorry load of bruised bananas, judging by the number of 'seconds' clearance sticker rolls hanging proudly on display
rdobbie

I've just moved to live near a newly opened Morrisons "store of the future", and I have to say it's a great shopping experience, very evocative of a French hypermarché, and it makes Tesco and Asda look awful in comparison. A few observations:

I'm convinced that nobody is buying any of the exotic veg under the water misters (eddo, cassava, kohlrabi, etc.) and that it was never Morrisons' intention that anyone would buy them - the whole fixture is there for theatrical effect, and all the produce is being written off as wastage.

The exterior signage around the car park is almost IDENTICAL to the final version of the Safeway branding which Morrisons eradicated when it took over (bottle green, rounded corners, italic 'marker felt' typeface in white). It seems more than a coincidence - I do wonder if someone at Morrisons decided to revisit some old Safeway branding manuals which were discovered in a cupboard!

To be ultra-pedantic, one surviving relic (which I always hated) from the old 'cheapo' Morrisons is the plastic cubes above each till which denote its number and illuminate when the till operator wants to beckon the supervisor. They spoil the aesthetics of the otherwise sleek environment, and with minimal effort they could have been redesigned to look so much nicer.
all new Phil

Bit of a kick-off at the moment surrounding the suspension of a Morrisons employee who refused to remove a poppy pin-badge and a Help For Heroes wristband when asked. Cue the usual rent-a-mob spamming their Facebook and saying how they'll never spend their £150 a week (pleeeease! Most of them are like 15.) in there again and how 'discusting' it is.
SirKen

Martin wrote:
Square Eyes wrote:Is there a Morrisons anywhere in the country where they still have the revolutionary swivelling banana hanging cage in use ?
Morrisons Stevenston still does.

Never once seen a member of staff behind the cage mind you. They appear to be anticipating a lorry load of bruised bananas, judging by the number of 'seconds' clearance sticker rolls hanging proudly on display
I'm not sure they're in use, they were binned by the new CEO due to lack of efficiency compared to hammocks, they disappear completely with fresh format refits. The banana 'cage' is no more.
WillPS

http://www.groceryinsight.com/wp-conten ... -18161.jpg

There you go. Silly silly waste of time. Looked stupid and epitomised everything that was wrong with post-Safeway takeover Morrisons.
all new Phil

It's still there in Blackpool, but appears to have been turned into a dumping space for cardboard boxes. The bananas are situated elsewhere.
simonipswich

I think if my memory serves correctly, it's still in use in the Ipswich branch too, with cardboard boxes stored behind it!
AJ

The banana cages are/were a complete waste of time. In my short spell working in the fruit and veg dept of a Morrisons store, most of the time was taken up with hanging the bloody things up.

It was advertised, at the time, as being the best way of selling bananas as they grow hanging. Thing is, they grow the other way around.
WillPS

simonipswich wrote:I think if my memory serves correctly, it's still in use in the Ipswich branch too, with cardboard boxes stored behind it!
It's probably been refitted to use hammocks which swing in to the same cage.
thegeek

spotted in central London today:

It is, of course, a Safeway Green Box, from their mid-90s self-service scanning service. (Anyone remember what it was called? this article about its introduction doesn't mention the branding.)