My Lovely Horse Lasagne

Nick Harvey
God

Thank you, Bilky.

I, too, was thinking that Mr JAS was going a bit 'Daily Mail' on us with his comment.
Alexia

500? That's nothing....
eoin

bilky asko wrote:The UK's chief medical officer was quoted as saying you would need to eat 500 pure horsemeat burgers at a time to reach a harmful dose of bute.
That rather ignores the point that there exist established laws and standards that bute should not be present in food for human consumption, even in miniscule quantities. The element of 'scandal' comes from the fact that these laws have been broken, and that nobody really knows how long it's been going on for.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Odd that the Chief Exec of Iceland foodstores was on TV this morning say "no supermarket chains had products which contained horse meat", suggesting instead that there was only "contamination" from other sources.

He blamed local authorities for driving costs down for hospital, school and prison supply contracts.

But how can he suggest there is no horse meat in UK supermarkets, when DNA results prove otherwise?
scottishtv

I found this guy's thinking to be a bit weird to be honest.

Sure, competitive tenders are always largely based on price but that's not new. If his company or associated companies are engaged in a race to the bottom on price, and they think they can beat their competitors by fulfilling contracts with food that isn't what it's been sold as - then the blame must lie fully with the supplier.

Misleading your customers to try and win business over others is no excuse at all, in my opinion. If that's what's going on in these markets then any decent company would walk away, but he seems to be saying they are somehow being "forced" to do what they have been doing.
bilky asko

eoin wrote:
bilky asko wrote:The UK's chief medical officer was quoted as saying you would need to eat 500 pure horsemeat burgers at a time to reach a harmful dose of bute.
That rather ignores the point that there exist established laws and standards that bute should not be present in food for human consumption, even in miniscule quantities. The element of 'scandal' comes from the fact that these laws have been broken, and that nobody really knows how long it's been going on for.
Well let's disregard the advice of the chief medical officer then, eh? The standards set are very, very high in this case.
Critique

rdobbie wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Haha, don't speak too soon, rdobbie!
I'll humbly eat humble pie if the Waitrose burgers have got horse in them, but I bet they haven't. Despite the pomposity of Waitrose and those who shop there, I do believe they go the extra mile to check out the arse-end of their supply chain. Tesco and Aldi, however, are balls deep in plausible deniability.
Quite a few big supermarkets withdrew items as a precautionary measure, Waitrose being one of them, but tests have shown that the Waitrose products didn't contain horse - there were traces of Pork, though.
WillPS

Is it just me that's bored shitless with the endless coverage of this? We've learnt pretty much nothing in the last week and yet it's somehow made news each and every bloody night.
Lorns

I'm not morally outraged that it is highly probable that I've eaten Tonto. It would have been nice to have been informed that horse was in the product and where it was sourced and is it fit for human consumption.. I always thought that equines in this country went to the zoo to feed the animals or was shipped abroad.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Nick Harvey
God

Tonto?

Don't you mean Silver?

Signed: Lone Ranger Fan of Wiltshire.
Pete

Nick Harvey wrote:Tonto?

Don't you mean Silver?
You may recall my Madeline McCann sandwhich...
"He has to be larger than bacon"