Radio 1 Breakfast with Nick Grimshaw

The forum discussing radio
Philip

So, what did we think?

It felt like a show aimed at teenage girls rather than young adults, with the constant mention of One Direction and Justin Bieber, with the promise of having each member of One Direction on each day of the week putting me off quite a bit.

I'm probably going to check back in in a few weeks and see if the format has settled down. Also it seemed that by having Matt off-mic, they were trying to show how different the format was from CM, but it just seemed silly.
Pete

There only seemed to be one jingle and it was poor.

Not impressed.

Boring.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

I don't think it will take them long to give him either a co-host or a team - probably a co-host I'd say. I reckon Jameela Jamil would be in with a shot.

I quite like the guy, but I think the constant One Direction and Bieber mentions will put a lot of people off straight away. The audience for them just isn't as big as they think it is.

Overall though, I think he'll do ok. The ratings will go down, that's inevitable, but he'll last a while because he's definitely a professional.
Pete

What do we think so far then? I have to admit to turning off quite frequently in the mornings and on the way to work as I just cannot stand the utter drivel he comes out with. A scan of the Radio 1 FB page appears to show quite a lot of distaste for him too
all new Phil

I literally don't know what to listen to on my way into work in the morning any more. Whilst Chris Moyles was definitely booted out at the right time, I can't help but think Scott Mills would have been a much better replacement.

I genuinely like Nick Grimshaw, but his show is just dull.
Pete

I've been listening a few times recently and I've noticed the team have piped up. In the first week there was only ever Nick's voice and the occasional mumble from Fincham. It seems to be far better now there is the return of a team albeit far less prominent than Moyles's team were.