4GEE

BBC LDN

nodnirG kraM wrote:From what I've been told, Vodafone's spectrum will be compatible with the 5; O2's however will not so unless O2 can sweet talk Apple, its subscribers will never get 4G on their iPhone 5. EE reports record number of porting from O2 this morning (the earliest opportunity since launch day for porting to take place), so much so that recommendation of 72 hours' wait for completion is currently being offered rather than the standard 24.
Told by who?

Both Vodafone and O2 own spectrum in the 1800MHz range - just like T-Mobile/Orange - but that doesn't really mean anything, as Voda/O2 are both using their frequency to operate 3G services. T-Mobile and Orange were able to identify large chunks of unused frequency allocations, following the merger of their physical network. This left them able to isolate the unused capacity, so that they could apply to Ofcom to convert chunks of it for 4G operations.

Vodafone and O2 don't have the same kind of spare capacity lying around. While it's technically true that some of the spectrum that those operators use in the 1800MHz range would be compatible with the iPhone 5's 4G, without a decent chunk of capacity to free up, and without approval from Ofcom, it doesn't make much difference.

O2 wouldn't need to sweet-talk Apple any more than Vodafone would. Both O2 and Voda have 1800MHz spectrum. The problem isn't that Apple hasn't made a phone compatible with their frequencies; the problem is that they don't have much capacity in the 1800MHz range to be able to convert large chunks of it to operate 4G services.

Some have suggested that Vodafone and O2 are considering an application to Ofcom to convert some of their existing 900MHz spectrum (currently used for both 2G and 3G services) for 4G use. That would allow them to offer 4G to customers much sooner than waiting for Ofcom's 4G licence auctions next year (which will offer spectrum in the 800MHz and 2600MHz ranges only). But the problem is that there's very little support - particularly in Europe - for LTE in the 900MHz range; not only are there currently very few devices supporting 900MHz LTE, but the availability of network infrastructure materiel for 900MHz LTE is also far more limited than for 1800MHz, making the cost of building a 4G network in the 900MHz range much higher (especially compared with European rivals who are largely focusing on the 1800MHz to deliver 4G).

Because of those issues, it's utterly unlikely that either O2 or Vodafone would go down that road, as the costs - of repurposing and building a 4G network at greater expense than its rivals, and then having to subsidise handset development to get manufacturers to build devices with 900MHz LTE support - are far, far too high for what would essentially be a stop-gap until next year's auction. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that both Voda and O2 have indicated that the 900MHz option isn't really a solution for them.
Pete

So... and forgive my ignorance on this subject... if they could convert space in 900Mhz why can't they just shunt some 2G/3G people off 1800 onto 900 and then use the freed up space at 1800 for 4G instead?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
BBC LDN

Pete wrote:So... and forgive my ignorance on this subject... if they could convert space in 900Mhz why can't they just shunt some 2G/3G people off 1800 onto 900 and then use the freed up space at 1800 for 4G instead?
Sadly, we have reached the limits of my knowledge on this matter.

*watches tumbleweed blow past*
remlap

Mam and Dad have had a few texts from T-Mobile promoting the new EE network. Dad said he got a text about HD Audio over 3G which puzzled me on his ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) (Maybe they're compatible, I think he's on Android 2.3.7)

Surprisingly nothing on my Galaxy Nexus from T-Mobile yet. I wonder if its compatible with HD Audio as well.
Jake

remlap wrote: Surprisingly nothing on my Galaxy Nexus from T-Mobile yet. I wonder if its compatible with HD Audio as well.
I've looked into this before, and from what I could gather it seems only the Australian version of the phone has this enabled. I can only think the codec isn't licensed for the international version.
remlap

Jake wrote:
remlap wrote: Surprisingly nothing on my Galaxy Nexus from T-Mobile yet. I wonder if its compatible with HD Audio as well.
I've looked into this before, and from what I could gather it seems only the Australian version of the phone has this enabled. I can only think the codec isn't licensed for the international version.
I just asked on Reddit and a Dutch guy got back to me and says its works for him on his Galaxy Nexus to a friend with Galaxy Note.
Jake

remlap wrote:
Jake wrote:
I just asked on Reddit and a Dutch guy got back to me and says its works for him on his Galaxy Nexus to a friend with Galaxy Note.
Ah that's interesting. Fingers crossed then.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

I got a text from t-mobile saying I can now enjoy HD Audio on my One x too... might start making phone calls to try it out!
Snarky
bilky asko

nodnirG kraM wrote:I don't know anyone else with an HD Voice compatible handset but I was woken at 4am the other day to the exciting news from TM that I too can use this fantastic service.

I've just handed in my notice at EE, so it's goodnight from me and from him.
Surely it's goodnight from E and goodnight from Eem?
remlap

All done am now on EE 3G.
Critique

Indeed, I've just walked past our Orange, and the logo is gone, the windows are covered by some sort of paper, and it is closed. T-Mobile is now clad in the EE livery, and we're set.