High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

JAS84 wrote:They should've done what Santander did, and closed some branches after they took over Birthdays. In Hull, there was a Bradford and Bingley right opposite an Alliance & Leicester, with an Abbey a couple of streets away. Though all three were initially rebranded as Santander after they bought B&B and A&L at the start of the credit crunch, the former B&B has since closed down, presumably when the lease expired.
Not seen any evidence of that in Sheffield, where from the Cathedral tram stop you are about 50m from any one of the three. Must be kind of unpleasant for those working there as two lots must know it can't go on!

Clintons did close quite a few Birthdays (by comparison to what GAME did with Gamestation!).
Whataday

There are 4 Santanders on Cardiff's Queen Street, two of which are former A&L, B&B, and next door to each other, another is directly opposite. They've branded one of them into a Student Finance Branch, whatever that is, but they all function as the same thing.
Whataday

cwathen wrote:I'd say their biggest issue is the very same one that Game have - they have a ridiculously expansive store estate.
Peacocks also fell into this category in some areas. See also Holland & Barrett.

(Incidentally, one of the 3 Clintons stores in Cardiff was recently cut in half, with a Holland & Barrett store taking up half of the shop front, but only about a third of the store inside, meaning the 'store room' door in H&B leads to the Clintons store, and both units share a storeroom.)
Chris

JAS84 wrote:They should've done what Santander did, and closed some branches after they took over Birthdays. In Hull, there was a Bradford and Bingley right opposite an Alliance & Leicester, with an Abbey a couple of streets away. Though all three were initially rebranded as Santander after they bought B&B and A&L at the start of the credit crunch, the former B&B has since closed down, presumably when the lease expired.
In my local town there are 3 Santander branches, two are pretty much next to each other as one was an A&L, and another is about 10 minutes away in a market square, which was a B&B.

I presume the unwillingness to close down a branch if they're in the same locality is probably due to leases more than anything - but it does look rather ridiculous having two of the same banks next to each other / in the same street.
LickOfPaint

In light of some inside info I've had sent to me, I reckon Blacks, Millets and JD Sports are all going to come crashing down very shortly...unless they can get someone big to buy them/bail them out. :ugeek:

The only difference is that their high street presence will not be missed.
DVB Cornwall

I'm not aware of any Closures of Santander branches in Cornwall.
Alexia

LickOfPaint wrote:In light of some inside info I've had sent to me, I reckon Blacks, Millets and JD Sports are all going to come crashing down very shortly...unless they can get someone big to buy them/bail them out. :ugeek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... nistration

Inside information?? Blacks has been in the shit since December.
WillPS

Alexia wrote:
LickOfPaint wrote:In light of some inside info I've had sent to me, I reckon Blacks, Millets and JD Sports are all going to come crashing down very shortly...unless they can get someone big to buy them/bail them out. :ugeek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... nistration

Inside information?? Blacks has been in the shit since December.
They have since been taken over by JD though, which itself isn't doing brilliantly.
Critique

Our local Blacks has already gone. The small sign on it says 'Your closest Blacks store is Millets'...
Nick Harvey
God

Can't help thinking that this thread is getting terribly racist!
JAS84

Allders has gone into administration - again. All but one store closed down seven years ago, now the last one has finally fallen.
http://www.standard.co.uk/business/busi ... 54444.html