Jubilee weekend: really who cares?

barcode

I have to be honest I have yet to see anyone up here in Scotland really caring, most bus services are normal or Saturday, and some places are only closing on the Tuesday, since there had the holiday last Monday.

Ive not heard anyone talking about it. Nor is there any bunting put up anywhere in the town of villages.
Philip

Obviously you do since you posted a whole thread about it. ;)

There are actually going to be a few street parties around my way, and many houses already have bunting up in windows, none across the streets yet though. Of course not everyone feels this way, mainly the people who put "Who really gives a shite about *insert event here*" on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ etc and write into the local papers about the waste of money our government is spending that could be better used on local services or the NHS etc. But I'd say the majority of people are looking forward to it.

I'm personally indifferent - I don't have strong views on the royal family, hopefully people will just have an enjoyable long weekend whether they do it celebrating the jubilee or not. Maybe I'm just too nice. :P
all new Phil

Tell you what - give up the moaning, find something else to do, and let those who plan to enjoy the weekend do just that.
Alexia

I'm working all the way through it, and I get a day off in lieu some time in the next calendar year.

I'm more excited about the summer rugby internationals and Euro 2012 than anything else.
Square Eyes

It's a 4 day weekend, and a 3 day working week next week - whats not to like ?
Gavin Scott
Admin

barcode wrote:I have to be honest I have yet to see anyone up here in Scotland really caring, most bus services are normal or Saturday, and some places are only closing on the Tuesday, since there had the holiday last Monday.

Ive not heard anyone talking about it. Nor is there any bunting put up anywhere in the town of villages.
Do you work Barcode? I think I've asked you before, but don't remember. I speak to hundreds of people through the week from all over Scotland and the UK. I've certainly heard people discussing the long weekend. Maybe your circle isn't as large.

That's usually the defining issue for workers - "do I get a free day off?". Then, people can sit at home (or go out somewhere) and feel warm or cold or indifferent to the whole thing.

I'm fond of the Queen, so I think I'll watch the celebrations - but edited highlights, as I've been given Tuesday as a floating holiday and its not a bank holiday for Edinburgh on Monday - so its a 5 day week for me.
Square Eyes

And why no bunting in the Metropol living room ?
rob

Square Eyes wrote:It's a 4 day weekend, and a 3 day working week next week - whats not to like ?
The weather.

Seriously though, my village isn't doing very much this weekend, because we've got our Sheepfair next month. Yes, that's right, sheepfair. All the flags and bunting are out though!
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Philip

Very strong ratings for the Queen programming last night on both BBC One and ITV1 according to The Ratings Thread over on Digital Spy Forums.
Sput

I don't really care either way, but in my view the people moaning about it are more annoying at the moment.
Knight knight
marksi

If you're moaning, don't worry. It is highly unlikely there will be another Diamond Jubilee in your lifetime. Hopefully you can just about manage to put up with the extra day off, no matter how inconvenient it is for you.