The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Alexia

Wrong thread ;) You want the rebrand thread
wells

I wondered where that post had gone. :lol:
rdobbie

Wow - the end of an era, then:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... range.html

My first thoughts on the new design: crap.
bilky asko

rdobbie wrote:Wow - the end of an era, then:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... range.html

My first thoughts on the new design: crap.
Not only that, but their Value range has always tasted worse than other supermarkets - Sainsbury's is hit-and-miss, ASDA is good at it, but Morrisons definitely have the best. Whilst for some products the formulation is practically the same (value Cola, with the exception of Tesco), some vary widely (value Chicken Roll is one example, with wide variation in meat content and use of pea and potato starch - a mixture of the two is best).

I don't think the packaging is awful, but it's too cluttered.
wells

I think the design isn't as pleasing as the Morrisons one, but I feel they're trying to make it as instantly recognisable as the original Tesco Value range without it looking as shit.

'Tesco Everyday Value' sounds more like it's decent quality value for money range than 'Tesco Value' which sounds like it's just cheap crap.

In other news, Tesco don't seem to do their Premium Cola anymore, which I was first alerted to thanks to a thread on this forum.
woah

Personally I think it's a good move and the packaging is rather good. Most people would sooner not be seen buying Value brands these days, and this updated packaging takes away the tackiness. Wonder though if they have copied Morrisons idea or were developing a similar idea at the same time?
lukey

Assuming for a moment the price point is kept the same (although - is it?) - trying to make budgo products falsely upmarket seems a bit odd to me. I thought the point of the 'value' race to the bottom was that there were would always be x% of people who will go for the cheapest rattiest gristly cat shit mince they can get hold of - and so explicit packaging to that effect was a nice beacon for them. You grab that market while allowing yourself to push your Finest range as an artificially poncy offering to those who wouldn't be seen dead buying Value. If you make the cheap product more approachable, I can't see it bringing in new custom - will it not just give permission for people to downmarket their shop because the packaging is inoffensive?
bilky asko

lukey wrote:Assuming for a moment the price point is kept the same (although - is it?) - trying to make budgo products falsely upmarket seems a bit odd to me. I thought the point of the 'value' race to the bottom was that there were would always be x% of people who will go for the cheapest rattiest gristly cat shit mince they can get hold of - and so explicit packaging to that effect was a nice beacon for them. You grab that market while allowing yourself to push your Finest range as an artificially poncy offering to those who wouldn't be seen dead buying Value. If you make the cheap product more approachable, I can't see it bringing in new custom - will it not just give permission for people to downmarket their shop because the packaging is inoffensive?
The people who buy value products don't want packaging to look like some sort of industrial waste warning label, and when they realise everywhere but Tesco has nice packaging, Tesco's Value range will inevitably decline in popularity.

If they do the same as Morrisons did, they may take the opportunity to increase the prices on some of their products (M Savers salt being the example I can remember), and alter the prices for the products where the recipes have changed.
lukey

bilky asko wrote:
lukey wrote:Assuming for a moment the price point is kept the same (although - is it?) - trying to make budgo products falsely upmarket seems a bit odd to me. I thought the point of the 'value' race to the bottom was that there were would always be x% of people who will go for the cheapest rattiest gristly cat shit mince they can get hold of - and so explicit packaging to that effect was a nice beacon for them. You grab that market while allowing yourself to push your Finest range as an artificially poncy offering to those who wouldn't be seen dead buying Value. If you make the cheap product more approachable, I can't see it bringing in new custom - will it not just give permission for people to downmarket their shop because the packaging is inoffensive?
The people who buy value products don't want packaging to look like some sort of industrial waste warning label, and when they realise everywhere but Tesco has nice packaging, Tesco's Value range will inevitably decline in popularity.
But it can only decline in popularity in favour of people buying more upmarket (where I assume the margins are higher) or changing supermarket over packaging - and is there anything to suggest this is happening?
woah

Re-looking at the Tesco packaging, I think to the average customer that it might even look like the normal own-brand product!

The M Savers packaging is a little more basic but still looks modern - I think it strikes a better balance between looking like the tacky low-end product and looking like the standard brand. The M Savers range was also well advertised, presumably targeting the Aldi/Lidl customers, so perhaps Tesco are after the same?
scottishtv

Single creme eggs now appear in 'look up item' on Sainbury's self checkouts on the first page, top left. After many a visit trying to scan crumpled up foil with no alternative, I can now process my choccy treat without staff intervention. What a Happy Easter.