The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Philip Cobbold

I imagine they'll just be covered with Think 25 advertising, and such like. They're going to take a bit of getting used to, as you'll have to remember which door certain brands are behind. Also if there are 2 customers being served at once, only one door can be opened at once.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Philip Cobbold wrote:I imagine they'll just be covered with Think 25 advertising, and such like. They're going to take a bit of getting used to, as you'll have to remember which door certain brands are behind.
Some woeful staff can't see what you ask for even when its in plain sight and you're pointing.
Also if there are 2 customers being served at once, only one door can be opened at once.
Really? Why?
Philip Cobbold

It means that too many packets will be visible to the public at once, and thus breaks the rules.

An article about a Tesco store that's got them installed... http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/C ... story.html
WillPS

I used to avoid the tills as much as possible when I worked at Sainsbury's Local, but I'm pretty sure I could still find my way blind to most fag brands. It was like being chucked in the deep end when I moved up though - a non-smoker not used to Yorkshire accents - "twenteh emb-s-h numb-uh 1s pet" meant very little to me.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

The ones they've installed in my local ASDA look terrible just because the rails they've used to ensure the doors self close are all at a tad more than a jaunty angle. Looks like the curtain rails you see on police shows during drug raids. Sadly, it looks as if it is intended to be that way.

I don't really get the rationale behind having to have them. Just because I keep my biscuits in a cupboard and can't see them normally, I still know that my cup of tea is bereft without one and it doesn't stop me getting one out. Even though my son doesn't know where they are kept, he still knows the importance of a nature valley bar!
Snarky
WillPS

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:The ones they've installed in my local ASDA look terrible just because the rails they've used to ensure the doors self close are all at a tad more than a jaunty angle. Looks like the curtain rails you see on police shows during drug raids. Sadly, it looks as if it is intended to be that way.

I don't really get the rationale behind having to have them. Just because I keep my biscuits in a cupboard and can't see them normally, I still know that my cup of tea is bereft without one and it doesn't stop me getting one out. Even though my son doesn't know where they are kept, he still knows the importance of a nature valley bar!
I don't see the harm not doing it though. I guess it's just a further bit of de-glamorisation - not only do addicted smokers have to stand out in the cold/rain they have also have to purchase their goodies from concealed retail units.

It doesn't make it more difficult per se for existing smokers to get the stuff, it does remove them from sight of young children.

Similarly I don't see the harm in enforcing plain packaging.
Philip Cobbold

I've seen a picture of what it's going to look like now, and it does look pretty decent. There's text based graphics on the doors (in the new font of course) about Think 25 and about the legislation.
Pete

Currently furious with Sainsburys.

Their brand Match thing "it's simple you won't pay more for brands" is apparently nonsense.

Yesterday I bought - amongst other things - weetbix and cravendale. The weetabix was on offer, therefore meaning I saved £2.30. The Cravendale was not on offer, however it is on offer at Tesco.

Apparently because I saved money on my *overall* shop, I therefore do not qualify to have the Cravendale offer price matched.

So therefore it's not simple and they'll only match brands when they feel like it.

What a crock of shite.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
adamcobb55

Yes it runs as a rolling total so if Weetabix are £2 buy one get one free in Sainsbury's but not anywhere else you'll get a voucher for -£2 (i.e. you'll get a printout saying you saved £2 by choosing to come to Sainsbury's today). Therefore if you then buy 2 multipacks of Walkers crisps for £1 each which are buy one get one free in Tesco your overall balance will only increase to -£1 and you'll get a voucher saying you saved £1 by coming to Sainsbury's today (which strictly speaking is true as it would have cost you more had you only shopped in Tesco.

Complicated and infuriating I know but the scheme is only designed to 'reassure' shoppers that they won't be paying any more because of their choice to shop in Sainsbury's. Obviously this promise is slightly hollow anyway as unless they've done their research on what offers Tesco and Asda are running they're going to gravitate towards the Sainsbury's offers and for this reason the vast majority (I'd say 80% from experience) of vouchers show that a shopper has saved by going to Sainsbury's.
WillPS

Pete wrote:Currently furious with Sainsburys.

Their brand Match thing "it's simple you won't pay more for brands" is apparently nonsense.

Yesterday I bought - amongst other things - weetbix and cravendale. The weetabix was on offer, therefore meaning I saved £2.30. The Cravendale was not on offer, however it is on offer at Tesco.

Apparently because I saved money on my *overall* shop, I therefore do not qualify to have the Cravendale offer price matched.

So therefore it's not simple and they'll only match brands when they feel like it.

What a crock of shite.
The trick is, if you can be bothered, put your shop in to MySupermarket beforehand and separate out in to "cheaper at Sainsburys" and "cheaper elsewhere" lists. I did it once and it's a right faff for a max of £10 savings.
Pete

I mean the thing with Sainsburys is their own brand is far superior than the others, and therefore is fine to buy rather than branded stuff. I think this was their previous marketing push. I just find it irritating that they push it as if it is price matching via coupons when its not really doing that.

Bah.

Still better than Tesco's amazing price drop "NOW 2p CHEAPER!!!!" etc
"He has to be larger than bacon"