Lillibullero

The forum discussing radio
jsm

I'm an avid listener of the BBC World Service, and I've noticed that in the past two weeks or so they've been playing Lillibullero again. It's not played every hour, but probably ~65% of the time, in lieu of the rather tired David Lowe theme from 2007.

I find it fascinating that the World Service is returning to the iconic identity of the past, I wonder what other changes are in store.
Ste

What do you listen on?

It's since the 2007 change always been played in its shortened form been played every couple of hours on shortwave and the Africa option online. However I don't think I've ever heard it on the DAB UK version except for last Wednesday when they played it for the 80th birthday programming.

Recording off shortwave I made last week - http://soundcloud.com/stephen-cooper/bb ... e-12095khz

Ste
Pete

I didn't realise the version we have on DAB is different than the main English feed.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Ste

Pete wrote:I didn't realise the version we have on DAB is different than the main English feed.
Yes the schedule is slightly different with some programmes at different times and the David Lowe theme includes the words "and across the UK on Digital Radio" or something.

Trailers are also changed to include UK times when the UK is not on GMT in the summer.
Inspector Sands

I'm pretty sure (and this is my understanding of how it works) that a few years ago they split the English World Service output into 2 - one a more newsy service and the other a more general World Service with feature/entertainment programmes and short bulletins on the hour/half hour. The idea being that they could tailor the output to different parts of the world - i.e. in the morning in a particular region they'll get more news and less programmes and vice versa. Also the news service could be used for big stories.

Lillibullero is used on the more traditional WS and newsy one has the 'This is the BBC in....' top of the hour. The one we get on DAB and Radio 4 is the latter
Inspector Sands

Ste wrote:Recording off shortwave I made last week - http://soundcloud.com/stephen-cooper/bb ... e-12095khz
Lillibullero works really well on fading, static-y SW like that. As a piece of music it just seems very good as a tuning signal. It sounds a little over-produced there, it was much better when it was the simple'This is London' [pause], Lillibullero [pause] pips
jsm

Ste wrote:What do you listen on?

It's since the 2007 change always been played in its shortened form been played every couple of hours on shortwave and the Africa option online. However I don't think I've ever heard it on the DAB UK version except for last Wednesday when they played it for the 80th birthday programming.

Recording off shortwave I made last week - http://soundcloud.com/stephen-cooper/bb ... e-12095khz

Ste

I've been listening to a stream on an internet radio for the past few years, as I'm in New York, and there aren't any North American SW services anymore. I believe the feed I'm listening to is the more traditional WS feed, as there are occasionally TOTP and Sports programming. The Lillibulero is definitely new, though, as I've been listening to this feed for the past few years.
Ste

Inspector Sands wrote:
Ste wrote:Recording off shortwave I made last week - http://soundcloud.com/stephen-cooper/bb ... e-12095khz
Lillibullero works really well on fading, static-y SW like that. As a piece of music it just seems very good as a tuning signal. It sounds a little over-produced there, it was much better when it was the simple'This is London' [pause], Lillibullero [pause] pips
They also still play the Bow Bells before an English transmission starts on shortwave to help tuning to a particular frequency. http://www.inspirewebdesign.com/home/mp ... ter_10.mp3 from 1926 is the one played.
Bvsh Hovse

Inspector Sands wrote:I'm pretty sure (and this is my understanding of how it works) that a few years ago they split the English World Service output into 2 - one a more newsy service and the other a more general World Service with feature/entertainment programmes and short bulletins on the hour/half hour. The idea being that they could tailor the output to different parts of the world - i.e. in the morning in a particular region they'll get more news and less programmes and vice versa. Also the news service could be used for big stories.
Pretty much spot on.

Off the top of my head, there are 12 main versions of WS English:
Core News
Core News Internet
English UK
English UK Internet
English Africa East
English Africa West
English Americas
English Asia South
English Asia South East
English Australasia
English Europe
English Middle East
There are also a couple of additional feeds aimed at rebroadcasters

Core News is a bit odd, in that it isn't broadcast directly anywhere. The other networks opt in either for just the 5 and 2 minute bulletins each hour, or longer for the full hour for things like The World Today or Newshour if they fit the timezones. In theory there is an hour long news programme required somewhere in the world around the clock, in practise there are now a couple of gaps.

As suggested, in the event of breaking news all networks join core. Internet versions of networks have substitute programming arranged in periods where rights prevent online distribution. Core Internet then gets used as filler for online distribution for any other network that does not have an Internet version when required. It's pretty much the same programmes which go out on all the regions, just shifted to fit the timezones better. There are a few exceptions such as regional business bulletins, Network/Focus Africa and Top of the Pops.

BBC World News works in a similar way, in that there is a core network which never gets broadcast (other than the odd appearence on bbcworldservice.com during breaking news) and then has the regional opts and breakfillers laid on top of it to build the different versions for tx.

Meanwhile, back on topic: Here is an alternate version of Lilli used as the theme tune to the Persian TV music programme 'Kook'.
jsm

Ah, that's fascinating, thanks for the insight!

Am I crazy, or are there multiple versions of the Newshour theme? One sounds incredibly ominous (think BBC Nine O'Clock News in the late 80s), while others sound more light, yet still authoritative.
Ste

Bvsh Hovse wrote:
Meanwhile, back on topic: Here is an alternate version of Lilli used as the theme tune to the Persian TV music programme 'Kook'.

Another alternative version I saw from a post on TVF of an old BBC World Service TV video. On the video at about 3:02

Also here is a recording I took last week of both the Bow Bells and Lillibullero (after about 1 minute of the recording).

http://soundcloud.com/stephen-cooper/bb ... ce-at-east