The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

StevieB

A supermarket that doesn't get mentioned much on here, Iceland! Was in there last Friday and noticed that they've changed the font on their £1, £2, £3 price labels and SEL labels:

The website has also been updated!
baa

Good ol' Helvetica, the lazy designer's panacea. Makes them slightly more upmarket yet feels downmarket anyway. Not sure how they do that.
Gavin Scott
Admin

StevieB wrote:Image

The website has also been updated!
"Premium" ice-cubes? As opposed to what?!

To *think* I was almost the face of their ad campaigns. Rather a shame for the nice (in person) lady who won the competition. She didn't perform as well as they hoped, so was replaced with Stacey Solomon.

Who, I must admit, doesn't seem to be awfully good.

EDIT: Oh... I don't think I brought this subject up on the board before. Yeh - its an ickle bit embarrassing.
iSon

Ah well you're better off without them Gav. But I'm not sure about your original screen test...

Good Lord!
Pete

I think the downmarket is in the poor design and spacing of the typography despite the fact they've chosen what is generally a good font.

I was considering changing this thread to a dedicated Tesco thread given that the other three big ones now have their own threads, then other supermarkets could have a new thread all to themselves.

The vital metropol question is, of course, is this Tesco thread Official or Unofficial?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gavin Scott
Admin

iSon wrote:Ah well you're better off without them Gav. But I'm not sure about your original screen test...

:lol:

You try saying those lines with a mouthful of carbonated dipping jam. I ate some of the oysters too, and then realised they were made of instant mash potato with a heck of a lot of nail varnish.
WillPS

How long does Iceland have, in any case? For a bank supposedly desperate to liquidate their assets, they're taking a bloody age to agree a sale!
Pete wrote:The vital metropol question is, of course, is this Tesco thread Official or Unofficial?
I'd take a semi.
Andrew

Do Tesco still have all the 'Discount Brands', or has all that died a death? I can't recall any advertising promoting those Aldi style made up brands lately.
WillPS

Andrew wrote:Do Tesco still have all the 'Discount Brands', or has all that died a death? I can't recall any advertising promoting those Aldi style made up brands lately.
They still have some. "Creamfields" dairy products is just one that springs to mind. There's also a faux italian brand.
Pete

So, for those of you who are not friends with me on Facebook, and let's face it, that's most of you because I reject idiots off of here who add me, please observe my latest finds in my local Tesco.

Here we have a delightfully useful offer as it appeared on the 29th of December:

And here we have exactly the same shelf the next day:

I can't help think that maybe if they hiked their prices before their crap offers began they'd seen somewhat more convincing.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

On the upside, I saw they were doing 12 Creme Eggs for £2.75 today. I was tempted...
Knight knight