Richard Stallman aka Tumble Tower

Pete

So I feel this simply must be mentioned.

Richard Stallman (rms) "free software" (not open source) advocate who likes to give talks on the history of GNU/Linux (Gnu is pronounced with one syllable) has a rather long and detailed rider that comes with his speaking advert. It simply is the gift that keeps on giving so please do read it and furnish me with your favourite excerpts.

Fank oo.

https://secure.mysociety.org/admin/list ... 07647.html
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

How long does that page need to go on for? I'm still reading...

I think the amount of times he mentions the fact that it is not 'Open source' is applaudable, and I gave a hearty laugh when I saw that advertising banners during his speech would make him want them taken down or turned off.

You could fool me into thinking he is Tumble Tower...

EDIT: His opposition to 'Big Brother' is amusing, as is a part about how pleased he would be with a friendly parrot.
Chris

His rider makes Lady Gaga look ridiculously undiva-ish.

I have to ask what century he is living in, when he speaks of using SSH terminals and not using internet browsers, not receiving files larger than 100k and receiving everything in 'plain ASCII text'.

:lol:
lukey

Chris wrote:His rider makes Lady Gaga look ridiculously undiva-ish.

I have to ask what century he is living in, when he speaks of using SSH terminals and not using internet browsers, not receiving files larger than 100k and receiving everything in 'plain ASCII text'.

:lol:
Ok, so I don't quite download every website with wget, but still, I probably don't go a day without sshing into something. AM I DOING IT WRONG?
Alexia

A supply of tea with milk and sugar would be nice. If it is tea I really like, I like it without milk and sugar. With milk and sugar, any kind of tea is fine. I always bring tea bags with me, so if we use my tea bags, I will certainly like that tea without milk or sugar.
Is this even English?
Please sell copies of my book of essays, Free Software, Free Society, if you can. In the US, Canada, Spain, Italy and Japan, you can obtain published copies of this book in English, Spanish, Italian, and Japanese. You don't need to put up any money to do this....Outside those four countries, please print copies of the book to sell at the event, if you can. The English version is available in http://shop.fsf.org/product/free-softwa ... society-2/ (278 pages)....If you use ordinary copying, and avoid fancy covers and bindings, we can sell them for two or three times the cost of copying, and they will still be cheap enough that many people will buy them. From the proceeds you will first retain the cost of printing; we can divide the gains between your organization and the FSF.
OK, so you print out a freely-available text, you bind it, you do the donkey work of promoting and selling it, and FSG gets a cut? Good to see the laudable human ideal of free software still has a commercial capitalistic bent.
When you are making a recording, please *make sure* to tell me when the tape needs to be changed. I will pause. Please help me help you make the recording complete.
Good to see he's moving with the times. One, it is possible to buy VHS recording media with a running time of longer than 2.5 hours. Two, with digital recording and high storage sizes, tapes are increasingly obsolete.
If you have found a person for me to stay with, please forward this section and the two following sections to that person.

Temperature:
Above 72 fahrenheit (22 centigrade) I find sleeping quite difficult. (If the air is dry, I can stand 23 degrees.) A little above that temperature, a strong electric fan blowing on me enables me to sleep. More than 3 degrees above that temperature, I need air conditioning to sleep. If there is a substantial chance of indoor temperatures too hot for me, please arrange _in advance_ for me to have what I need.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I like cats if they are friendly, but they are not good for me; I am somewhat allergic to them. This allergy makes my face itch and my eyes water. So the bed, and the room I will usually be staying in, need to be clean of cat hair. However, it is no problem if there is a cat elsewhere in the house--I might even enjoy it if the cat is friendly.
His level of inconsistency makes VirginMediaPhil sound like Ian Paisley.
One situation where I do not need help, let alone supervision, is in crossing streets. I grew up in the middle of the world's biggest city, full of cars, and I have crossed streets without assistance even in the chaotic traffic of Bangalore and Delhi. Please just leave me alone when I cross streets.
Vroom.
woah

Is he honestly for real :lol: You'd think as someone that has helped popularise free software, that he would be more relaxed about everything. I think he might be so far up his arse, he's back through his own mouth.

It's almost like something you might see quoted out of one of the daft magazines on Have I Got News For You.
Pete

http://thestallmandialogues.com/ is a nice little site based on this.
cdd

How come he's OK with airlines knowing his personal details, but not bus or train comapnies?

:?
Pete

cdd wrote:How come he's OK with airlines knowing his personal details, but not bus or train comapnies?

:?
aeroplanes are in the sky so they don't have wires with which to track him